cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
SpongeyDan
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Solved!

Clean Install with HP DVD upgrade assistant

HP Recommended

If I was to do a clean install of W7 with the hp upgrade disk, can I still use the upgrade asst. AFTER that install to get the drivers and other stuff on that assistant disk or is it only to use for "upgrades"?

Also, reading the instructions on the website, it says to run the assistant disk before you install W7, but I assume that you only need to do that if you are performing an upgrade and not a clean install. Is that correct?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
wes_notebooks
Level 10
Level 10
1,513 1,442 152 1,070
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You can do a custom "clean" install and still use the Upgrade Assistant DVD.  The DVD does several things:

1. Checks to make sure your notebook is qualified for the upgrade (one of the models HP intended for upgrade).
  2. Installs the latest BIOS (very important).
  3. Prompts you to back up your data.  (All data is lost after custom install)
  4. Prompts you to run the Windows 7 upgrade.  (You are allowed to select custom) 
  5. After the upgrade is complete, reinsert the disc and it will install the Windows 7 drivers for your model.
After all of that you can recover your backed up data, and then run Windows Update, go to the HP downloads page for your model and download/install the MediaSmart applications.

Instructions are here: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01772165

-Wes

I am an HP employee.
0 Kudos
SpongeyDan
Author
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wes, appreciate the help.

The only questions I have left are,

1. I have a desktop PC not notebook, does that make any difference in the steps you posted?

2.  Just to make sure, after installing W7, you can put the HP upgrade asst. DVD back in the computer and get what drivers it has on it?

3. As for the BIOS, I've checked my computer and it has v5.07 and when I checked the HP site for any updates for my model(6180t) it had the BIOS at v5.05? So, I assume that I must have the latest one, correct? I bought the computer in August but was confused when I saw my BIOS seemed to be an even later edition that the one HP has on its site for my model.

Thanks again for all the help. I know all this is frustrating for everyone and want you to know how much your help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
wes_notebooks
Level 10
Level 10
1,513 1,442 152 1,070
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dan,

The desktop upgrade assistant DVD works pretty much the same way as the notebook version.  It will check your BIOS and if necessary install the latest version.  And yes, insert the DVD after the custom/clean install.  The drivers and software for your model will be installed.

The desktop instructions are here: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01778879

-Wes

I am an HP employee.
0 Kudos
PC_Tester
Level 7
1,475 1,465 35 112
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't see any language that says that you can use the Upgrade Assistant DVD after you finish the clean install

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01778879

In the Custom Install Section, after Step 5, it says to download/install the softpaqs from the website. It might be safer that way.

0 Kudos
PTeague
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a Happened with an AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-58 now running windows Vista and when I try to install Windows 7 64 bit it says "You can upgrade to 32-bit Windows 7 Ultimate" or I can do a clean install.  I already have Windows 7 in 64 bit can I install this with out losing all my files and settings or would it be easier to to go with a 32 but version of 7?

Thanks

Pat

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation