Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
10-27-2009 09:29 AM
If I was to do a clean install of W7 with the hp upgrade disk, can I still use the upgrade asst. AFTER that install to get the drivers and other stuff on that assistant disk or is it only to use for "upgrades"?
Also, reading the instructions on the website, it says to run the assistant disk before you install W7, but I assume that you only need to do that if you are performing an upgrade and not a clean install. Is that correct?
Solved! Go to Solution.
10-27-2009 09:37 AM - last edited on 04-18-2016 10:12 AM by OscarFuentes
You can do a custom "clean" install and still use the Upgrade Assistant DVD. The DVD does several things:
- Checks to make sure your notebook is qualified for the upgrade (one of the models HP intended for upgrade).
- Installs the latest BIOS (very important).
- Prompts you to back up your data. (All data is lost after custom install)
- Prompts you to run the Windows 7 upgrade. (You are allowed to select custom)
- After the upgrade is complete, reinsert the disc and it will install the Windows 7 drivers for your model.
Instructions are here: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01772165
I am an HP employee.
10-27-2009 10:21 AM
Wes, appreciate the help.
The only questions I have left are,
1. I have a desktop PC not notebook, does that make any difference in the steps you posted?
2. Just to make sure, after installing W7, you can put the HP upgrade asst. DVD back in the computer and get what drivers it has on it?
3. As for the BIOS, I've checked my computer and it has v5.07 and when I checked the HP site for any updates for my model(6180t) it had the BIOS at v5.05? So, I assume that I must have the latest one, correct? I bought the computer in August but was confused when I saw my BIOS seemed to be an even later edition that the one HP has on its site for my model.
Thanks again for all the help. I know all this is frustrating for everyone and want you to know how much your help is appreciated.
10-27-2009 08:47 PM - last edited on 04-18-2016 10:12 AM by OscarFuentes
The desktop upgrade assistant DVD works pretty much the same way as the notebook version. It will check your BIOS and if necessary install the latest version. And yes, insert the DVD after the custom/clean install. The drivers and software for your model will be installed.
The desktop instructions are here: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01778879
I am an HP employee.
10-27-2009 10:10 PM - last edited on 04-18-2016 10:12 AM by OscarFuentes
I don't see any language that says that you can use the Upgrade Assistant DVD after you finish the clean install
In the Custom Install Section, after Step 5, it says to download/install the softpaqs from the website. It might be safer that way.
12-08-2009 10:24 AM
I have a Happened with an AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-58 now running windows Vista and when I try to install Windows 7 64 bit it says "You can upgrade to 32-bit Windows 7 Ultimate" or I can do a clean install. I already have Windows 7 in 64 bit can I install this with out losing all my files and settings or would it be easier to to go with a 32 but version of 7?