cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Toilet_Duck
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Clean install to windows 7, when Compaq don't give a rescue disc.....?

HP Recommended

OK late last year I got a Compaq Presario CQ60, and we've been happy ever since.

I'd like to install windows 7 when it comes out but....

HP saving the pennies have not included a rescue disc. So when I format my hard drive prior to installing Win7, I'll have no rescue disc, so I'll be left without a working laptop, and no PROPER upgrade route.

Before anyone starts saying I can install over the top of vista: If history teaches us anything its never install one version of windows straight over the top of another, thats just shouting "I want a system that will screw up in days" the only thing guaranteed to screw you system up even more would be to install anything with the Norton brand on the box.

So how do i get a rescue disc? 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Daniel_Potyrala
Level 13
10,920 10,838 772 4,463
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Check some articles from Microsoft about beckup and recovery:

1) What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?

2) Back up your programs, system settings, and files.

3) Back up and restore: frequently asked questions.

4) Recover lost or deleted files.

5) Restore files from a backup.

Maybe they will be useful for You...

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
0 Kudos
CherylG
Level 17
44,714 38,155 3,356 11,463
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Don't format the hdd before installing Win 7...use the Advanced Install option to format and install. Or get the full version of Win 7 so no problems later,because  Win 7 will not ask for a cd to verify Upgrade eligibilty_there must be an OS installed.Dumb,I know but what can you do?

If you buy the Upgrade version (from what I understand), you will have to reinstall Vista in the event you have to reinstall Win 7. Or buy an Imaging app such as Acronis to be able to restore.

Btw,Make your Vista Recovery cd/dvd if you haven't yet: 

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

tomhat
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a (Pavillion dv6 1330 ev) laptop. It comes with Windows 7 but no disc so I created a Recovery Disc.

Now I want format my hdd & reinstall a clean windows 7. How can I get to the Advanced Install option to format & install.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation