cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Nemesis311
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Copying large files problem in windows 7 x64 professional

HP Recommended

Hi!

I'm new to this forum and I recently installed windows 7 professional without too much trouble in my pc. The only thigs that doesn't work are the quicklaunch buttons (which I'm expecting HP to release it until october 22). The system is functioning ok, but I discovered a very serious problem when tranferring large size files (copy or move function) to an external source (in my case a external HD: model Western Digital My book 1 TB connected via USB). 

When I try to move a file that is larger than 1 GB the system during the process gets slower and slower rendering my system useless unless I cancel the process and restart. This only happens when moving files from my notebook to my HD.

I've been doing my homework and I checked microsoft technet forums, here's what I found:

1.It seems a lot of people have this problem, in particullar the ones with an asus motherboard (which I know this isn't the case). But in my case since I don't know which motherboard my notebook has, I can't come up with a solution to this problem.

2. It seems to be a particullar problem with the 64 version of windows.

3. The users claim that the problem was solved when they upgraded the chipset, which I somehow tried but with the current vista drivers, but the problem wasn't solved.

4. Some users claim that by using other software like teracopy or grant full permission control seems like a workaround to this, but no in my case. It doesn't work.

5. With sisoft sandra I managed to get my motherboard from this notebook but with no luck finding information or upgrades to a Quanta motherboard.

Here are my system specs (link to the HP site describing it):

Model: HP pavilion 6950la

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01470050

Windows 7 professional x64

I'm worried about this and it seems weird to me that no one who has tried windows 7 professional x64 has mentioned this in the forum (or even mentioning it), because I think this is a really serious issue and I would like to make sure it gets known and hopefully solved during these days. I really don't want ot get back to vista just for this. And I hope my post will be useful to the HP people so they can get around this problem.

Thankd in advance, will wait for your answers.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
cnfrisch
Level 7
945 945 50 137
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Please repost your inquiry in the Microsoft Windows 7 Performance Forum

Thank you!
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Expert - Consumer

0 Kudos
Nemesis311
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I already did, hope to working with you to come up with a solution!

here's the link anyway:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/ad7a095a-cf35-4fd0-ac96-b88a82514fab

0 Kudos
vtllo
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having same problem with windows 7 pro.  Spoke with few, all have same problem

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation