cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
lucilgood
Level 2
10 6 0 4
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

DV9700T Vista 64 upgrade to windows 7 professional

HP Recommended

Hello,

Can anyone give me any ideas on what I need to do to upgrade to win 7??  Is there any preliminary stuff I need to do??  Also, do I lose the HP support tools that automatically checks for the latest versions of their drivers, etc??

Also, I have 2 hard drives.  One has windows xp prof for a couple of programs that need to run in a 32-bit environment. When I install win 7 will it get rid of the dual boot option or do I need to do that prior to reinstalling?

Finally, will the programs that must run in 32-bit be able to run in the xp mode.  I want to use windows 7 64-bit.

TIA

Lucil

Message Edited by lucilgood on 07-10-2009 09:29 AM
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
SWY
Level 4
89 87 2 18
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I assume you are refering to an eventual upgrade to Windows 7 Pro when released in a few months?  At this point, other than backing up files in case of disaster, and having a set of good restore disks handy, there is nothing preliminary to do.  That may change when it is actually released, but that won't be known for months yet.  Assuming you are planning on going from 64 to 64, and not 64 to 32, you will have the option of an upgrade or a clean install.  Based upon issues with the RC upgrade process, I recommend a clean install without reformating the drive.  That then moves all of the old program files and the old OS to a folder called Windows.old.  You can delete that folder at your convenience but it is at least good to have around up front in case you need to find a driver that is not yet available in Windows 7 (most Vista drivers are reasonably compatible).  It also preserves Recovery Manager (if your machine uses that utlility) - you can copy it out of WIndows.old and run it if you need to install an old app.  There is a bit more on that later in this note.     

If you want to keep the dual boot option, you might want to check on the Microsoft Technet forums, since different people have had different luck on that front.  It will not get rid of the partition but a few people have had minor complications with Master Boot Records getting confused and needing to be reset.  If the goal is to get rid of the dual boot setup, you should do it beforehand, since a straight-up Windows 7 upgrade won't touch it.   As a follow-up to that, you would also need to customize System Restore settings, since System Restore in Windows 7 and XP do not always work well together (if WIndows 7 takes restore points from the XP drive, it can eliminate any being made by XP). 

With respect to other questions, some HP support tools such as the utility to automatically check for updates, do not work under Windows 7.  The logic is pretty straightforward - it is a Vista utlity looking for Vista compatible upgrades. While WIndows 7 is most definitely an upgraded version of Vista, it is version 6.1X, not 6.0X.  On the bright side though as noted earlier, as long as you do an upgrade or a clean install without a reformat, Recovery Manager does work under Windows 7 (ot at least it does with the RC).  With an upgrade it is simple but even with the type of clean install specified, all you need to do is find the app under program files (within Windows.old).  Recovery Manager is a stand alone app that does not appear to be tied into the registry. I have used it numerous times to restore Vista apps and drivers into the RC.   

Finally, as to the subject of XP mode, you really should check and make sure your machine is VT enabled - XP mode will not work unless that technology is present and is enabled in the bios. FWIW, a very substantial number of major market machines (including lots of HP computers) are not VT enabled, or if they even have the technology, do not have a bios command to turn it on.  You should also keep in mind that even if XP mode works, it is still a beta and there are lots of performance issues with it.  That does not, however, mean that you need to keep XP on a separate partition.  Sun's Virtualbox runs very well under Windows 7 (Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007 runs okay as well also long as you do not try to install XP mode).  I prefer Virtualbox since it is faster and will pick up USB ports/devices.  Both VPC 2007 and Virtualbox are also free - you just need to have the OS to isntall within them.  They also both run under Vista if you wanted to try them out.  I use Virtualbox to run a couple legacy apps and am very happy with it. It even has a very simple seamless mode, although I have had no reason to use it.

Stephen

0 Kudos
lucilgood
Author
Level 2
10 6 0 4
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you very much for your very precise response...You answered all my questions.

Lucy

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation