cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
WillFa
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

EFI booting Windows 7 x64 or Vista SP1

HP Recommended

Windows 7 (along with Vista SP1) supports booting via UEFI/EFI instead of BIOS + MBR booting like the legacy operating systems use.

I have a G60-443CL, that has InsydeH2O EFI firmware emulating a BIOS. I have seen no option to allow EFI booting in the boot menu or "BIOS Setup" screens.

When Windows 7 upgrades ship, I'm going to flatten this machine anyway since I'm currently running the RC, and I would have very much liked to convert the disk to GPT and setup EFI booting. A big advantage in doing so is that EFI emulating a BIOS which emulates INT13h disk i/o calls are limited to 64k reads (just like real INT13 calls), while EFI disk access can read 1M chunks, vastly speeding up resumes from hibernation and the initial bootstrap loading the windows kernel.

My understanding is that the hardware's capable of supporting this. The firmware's capable of supporting this. However, the option is just locked away in the bios setup screens. Are there any plans to release another firmware update to give those tech savvy users the option of doing so? I can understand HP not wanting to support it... however I'm a little disappointed in that I'm being 'saved from myself' with intentionally crippled features in the firmware. It's funny that http://www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup brags that UEFI is the way of the future, but that features are being shunned.

I also get that the recovery partition is still Vista SP1, however the Windows7 install can and will set up WinRE in a partition...

Anyway, I hope that I'm wrong and there is a way to do this (I may have to reburn the dvd taking out the MBR El Torito block and leaving only the EFI El Torito and I believe that will boot... but hitting F9 would be so much easier)

Thanks for any and all help.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation