cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post

EliteBook 8730w bluetooth absent in Windows 7

HP Recommended
I've got an HP EliteBook 8730w (model no. ) with Wnidows 7 Ultimate build 7100 on it.  I have drivers for just about everything, except bluetooth.  The bluetooth device does not even show up in Device Manager.  I tried downloading what I thought was the bluetooth driver for Vista ("Software Support for HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth Wireless Technology for Microsoft Windows Vista v6.0p" - sp39805), but it eventually tells me that I don't have a bluetooth device connected.  Everywhere I look, the specifications say this model does have bluetooth.  Any ideas?
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i have the same problem, 

is there any workaround to fix this ?

everything else works like i dream on windows 7 whit the elitebook 8730w 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I still don't have a solution.  Its very frustrating as I have some devices, such as my cellphone, that I want integrated via bluetooth.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 1
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I had this problem too. Windows 7 couldn't find my bluetooth, because I turned it off when I was using Windows Vista. My notebook (dv2260br) doesn't have a phisical swith to turn it on or off (it's only made by software).

So I installed the HP wireless assistent, in my case this one:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-46858-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

The link above, is for dv2260br model, so if you own another one, try to find the right version for it.

This application let you turn on/off the bluetooth device. You just need to right click on bluetooth, select properties, and enable your device. As soon as you turn it on, windows will recognize the new device, and it will be installed.

I hope that works for you too. Good luck!

Message Edited by FernandoScarpin on 07-09-2009 06:42 AM
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That sounded very promising!  I downloaded the HP Wireless Assistant version for my notebook (HP EliteBook 8730w) and Vista-64 (since I'm running Windows 7 64-bit RC1).  It installed and restarted.  When I run it, though, it ONLY shows "Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 5300" (its status is "On"), and no other devices.

Its looking more and more like this ocmputer does not physically have a Bluetooth device.  But the product specifications (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/321957-321957-64295-3740645-3955549-3784202.html) say that it has a "Intel 802.11a/b/g draft-n; HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth 2.0 Wireless Technology".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 1
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, you product's specifications describes that it does have a bluetooth device.

Is your bluetooth service running in Windows 7? Because when I checked that on the first time, it wasn't (start / run / services.msc).

Follow the steps that I perfom, to make the bluetooth available:

1) Downloaded and installed the Vista drivers for my bluetooth device (on HP site).

2) Changed the two bluetooth services available in "services.msc" to automatic (I think they are "bluetooth support" and "bluetooth server").

3) Downloaded and installed the HP Wireless assistent, to turn on the device (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/images/c01615746.gif)

Highlighted
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did step one already -- "Download and install Vista drivers for my bluetooth device"-- by downloading "Software Support for HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth Wireless Technology for Microsoft Windows Vista v6.0p (sp39805)".

When I went to step two, I did find that my "Bluetooth Support" service was indeed NOT running, so I started it (and set it to automatically start).  I did not find any other "bluetooth" service (e.g. "bluetooth server").

For step 3, I downloaded and installed the "HP Wireless Assistant fro HP EliteBook 8730w and Vista-64 (sp39374)".  When I run it, it shows my WiFi device just fine, but it shows absolutley nothing about Bluetooth.

I then went itno the bluetooth driver setup files (where the downloaded driver package extracted them to) and ran "C:\SWSetup\SP39805\Win64\BTW.msi".  It just complains that it can't find a Bluetooth device.

A couple of weeks ago, I poked around in the BIOS to see if there was any sort of primordial setting that might have disabled it, but I found nothing.

I'd like to contact HP directly because I suspect there's something drasticaly wrong with the Bluetooth functionality in this particular laptop, but I fear I won't get any help since I'm running Windows 7 RC1.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 1
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Even though I'm running Windows 7 RC (Build 7201) and the EliteBook model I have is 6930p, I had exactly the same problem with bluetooth drivers.

It was really frustrating at first, but after poking around for some time I was able to resolve the issue. 

Here is the solution that worked for me:

• Enable "Bluetooth Support Servic" in your Services snap-in (type services.msc on the command line).
  • Download "HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth 2.0 Wireless Technology" from the HP support web site.
  • Extract files from the driver setup executable (in my case sp39479.exe).
  • Open the extracted folder, navigate to Win32 or Win64 folder based on your OS.
  • Find "Inst.exe" file and run it as an administrator.
  • Restart your machine after the installation.
  • Open DeviceManager in you Control Panel and click "Scan for hardware changes".
  • Wait for Windows 7 to detect & install your Bluetooth drivers.

Voila! Your bluetooth is good to go (hopefully).

Next step for me was hooking up my Wii Remote via bluetooth (http://www.simplehelp.net/2009/01/14/how-to-connect-a-wii-remote-to-your-pc/) and downloading GlovePie (http://carl.kenner.googlepages.com/glovepie) to start using the remote as a PC game controller. :smileywink:

Highlighted
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I followed your instructions step by step, but when I "Scanned for hardware changes", it detected nothing new.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended
FernandoScarpin thanks, it works for me. I have a Compaq nx9420 now with Windows 7 Ultimate.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation