cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
WillemII
Level 1
5 2 1 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Solved!

HP Pavilion & "Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ran into a problem"

HP Recommended

Would Windows 7 work on my laptop (HP Pavilion dv6132eu) ?

So I used Microsofts' "Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor". Which caused the error "Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ran into a problem scanning your devices. Upgrade Advisor needs to be able to scan your devices to determine if your computer is capable of running Windows 7".

Probably the laptop is not good enough for Windows 7, by why ?

I supposed, the Upgrade Advisor would tell me, which piece(s) of hardware is/are not fit for Windows 7.

In a Technet-forum they say, the Advisor is blocked by some HP-hardware. Which ?

Regards, Willem

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
spieght
Level 2
26 24 1 4
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hi Willem, you can check yourself the requirements for windows 7 are:
  • 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

• 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

• 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

• DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

• 0 Kudos
    m9x3mos
    Level 1
    14 9 0 0
    Message 3 of 8
    Flag Post
    HP Recommended

Most likely that computer will run it just fine.  I am currently running Windows 7 Ultimate on a DV1660SE with a Core Duo (not core 2) T2300 with 1gb of ram and is actually running very smoothly. Even in Media center runs quick.  I definatly think this is better then Vista.

0 Kudos
    WillemII
    Author
    Level 1
    5 2 1 0
    Message 4 of 8
    Flag Post
    HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. The specs are:

- AMD Turion 1,6 GHz.

- 1 Gb Ram.

- Insufficient HD space available, but I can free more than 20 Gb.

- Nvidia GeForce Go 6150 (I don't know about WDDM).

So I'm not sure about DirectX - I'll have to find out.

But in the background the question is: why does the Upgrade Advisor not finish advising ?

Bye, Willem

0 Kudos
    Hotlush
    4 4 0 0
    Message 5 of 8
    Flag Post
    HP Recommended

why does the Upgrade Advisor not finish advising ?

Something in the Upgrade Advisor, or the driver it is checking, isn't implemented very well so is causing the advisor to crash.

You may find if you do any updates that are outstanding (Windows Update, and check the HP driver page) that the driver is updated?

From the spec you give though I don't see any problem running Windows 7... probably.

0 Kudos
    MTBTOMSD
    1 1 0 0
    Message 6 of 8
    Flag Post
    HP Recommended
    I a HP Pavilion dv1660se Notebook PC installed Windows 7 and can't find a audio driver any tips?
    0 Kudos
    WillemII
    Author
    Level 1
    5 2 1 0
    Message 7 of 8
    Flag Post
    HP Recommended

My problem has been solved.

Before, the problem happened with "Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor BETA".

I've been waiting two monthes - now I've executed the Advisor again, resulting in "an important update".

And guess: the updated Advisor works as a rocket, finishing with a nice report with minor problems.

So I think the problem was a "Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor"-problem - not a HP-laptop-problem.

0 Kudos
    tiffanygu
    1 1 0 0
    Message 8 of 8
    Flag Post
    HP Recommended

not upgrading likeit  suppose to

0 Kudos
    ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
    † The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation