cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
thelawnet
Level 1
11 5 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HP Uninstall destroyed all my data

HP Recommended

I installed the 64-bit drivers from here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=4063&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3940574&lang=en

(full driver).

They didn't work because my Printer is the wrong model. I uninstalled them, and it deleted my entire user profile including all my data.

I think it's likely that the bit that destroyed my data was when it asks if you want to keep your clips for later re-installation. I said no, delete the clips, and it took a long time to complete, and when the machine rebooted my entire profile was deleted with the exception of one running program which it couldn't delete as the file was locked.

Be warned!!!!! My data was destroyed!

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
SquidgyB
2 2 0 0
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wow, this is still an issue?

We (international company) have had to issue advice to IT staff specifically not to install and very specifically not to uninstall HP web printing.

The best way to remove it is to disable it, if possible.

We've been working around this problem for years now - HP Web Printing as a piece of software is very buggy, causing problems with selection boxes for corporate database software, and worst of all deleting the entire Windows user profile on uninstalling.

We have been able to replicate the issue (both accidentally and on purpose...) on both XP and Win 7 machines. I'd be very weary of uninstalling HP Web Printing without doing a complete backup of any user files, and be sure that you have an hour or so free if you happen to decide to try...

0 Kudos
SquidgyB
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, we had this happen again today when a new member fo staff uninstalled the 8500 printer package.

How can such a serious (albeit rare) issue still be unresolved after more than 4 YEARS?

HP - anyone out there care to comment?

0 Kudos
Britton1981
Level 1
12 8 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Nah when the company's reputation is shown in bad light there usually isn't a support rep anywhere to be found. It's their business model and one day it will put them out of business. Sloppy support and even worse in house software. I've been to this forum a couple of times to ask for help or just to vent some rage at HP's inept software and "e-z break" hardware.

Today I have to report that the HP printer software is by far the most horrible software ever devised by a computer company, ever. I thought Dell was bad about the prebundled nonsense that comes with its computers and accessories, but HP just won that award.

I made the mistake of installing printer drivers downloaded from HP to install a printer my friend gave me. After installing it I checked the running processes and startup items to see what all was changed. To my horror HP had installed a lot of extra running processes, about 6 or 7 new "insert generic HP file name here.exe's" and several new services to. Just to give the printer "support" or "to enable some feature I would never even use".  To me it looked and acted like tracking software. They really want you to buy more ink cartridge's and anything else they learn about your buying habits, that's just bonus material they can sell to their corporate buddies.

The installer didn't ask me if I wanted these features or not. I just simply wanted a printer, that at most had one extra process, and only ran that process when it was needed. I had no idea the can of worms that I had just opened would cause extensive damage to my operating system if I dare remove all mighty HP"s big brotherish software packages.

Now I'll have to prepare my system and make notes of installed software, back up current data, make screen shots of my custom layout and number of other things, then REINSTALL the operating system and start it all over again. All because of HP"s sloppy uninstallers. If I didn't need this printer to make shipping labels I would carry it outside right now and slam it on the street, then get a vehicle and run it over just to make sure no one ever has to use this wretched POS ever again.

Get with the program HP, your customers are sick and tired of the constant hammering by your inferior products that never really belonged to the customer in the first place. How can they when you constantly force the users to install your tracking software/spyware just to use a product they paid good money for. Lets not forget about the bundled nonsense that comes preinstalled on new computers.  Process when buying a new HP computer goes as follows.

Step 1. Go online or to any Walmart and pay out the ass for a new computer system. (don't matter if it the tech in it sucks or not we just want your money)

Step 2. Take it home and immediately boot into the systems bootup options and have it load an OS installer from CD or Flash drive.

Step 3. Using the installers menu, format the entire disk, including the HP recovery software, because it's just a waste of good hard drive space anyway.

Step 4. Reinstall the operating system from scratch using your own installer media and save yourself a lot of headache in the long run.

(Optional step, don't buy anything from HP, instead spend your hard earned money on a Toshiba or Sony, at least the Asians know how to correctly install non offensive software on their hardware.)

This was it for me and any other plans for buying HP products, when you took over Compaq we lost a good PC company and replaced it with a bunch of greedy and arrogant individuals with way to much power in their hands. You might want to try and hire people that actually finished high school, or college grads who didn't just show up "to get the credits" and "look good at work".

Thanks for nothing.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation