cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Power-user
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

HP is not offering Vista 32bit to Windows 7 64bit upgrade??

HP Recommended

Why aren't you you that? When you get Windows 7 from somewhere else you get 32bit AND 64bit disks! I would really get this upgrade from legal ways, but not paying 30euros only from 32bit, I can get both almost for the same money. Or it is time to use bittorrent and get what you really want?

Pavilion dv6-1100eo

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Kalt
Level 12
4,535 4,501 384 1,083
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Power-user wrote:

Why aren't you you that? When you get Windows 7 from somewhere else you get 32bit AND 64bit disks! I would really get this upgrade from legal ways, but not paying 30euros only from 32bit, I can get both almost for the same money. Or it is time to use bittorrent and get what you really want?

Pavilion dv6-1100eo

You can't upgrade a 32-bit OS to 64 bit OS...you have to perform a clean install which kinda negates the point of it being an upgrade.  Try reading more on Microsoft's upgrade paths...
0 Kudos
Power-user
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok Sorry I didn't say that IT is not issue to me do clean install, and i know that then it's not, hmm "upgrade" anymore but clean install. Still clean install is preferred I think in anyway??!

Problem is that There's still no chance to do 32->64 without buying upgrade kit from eg. amazon or microsoft

0 Kudos
samschilling
Level 6
524 517 11 54
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That's because most systems running Windows Vista 32 bit are not using 64 bit processors, which would make a 64 bit version of Windows useless.

0 Kudos
SWY
Level 4
89 87 2 18
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Quote:  because most systems running Windows Vista 32 bit are not using 64 bit processors, which would make a 64 bit version of Windows useless.

Actually, almost every major market processor/motherboard from AMD and Intel are 64 bit based.  Your statement stopped being true about five years ago....

Stephen

0 Kudos
SWY
Level 4
89 87 2 18
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Kalt wrote:

@Power-user wrote:

Pavilion dv6-1100eo

You can't upgrade a 32-bit OS to 64 bit OS...you have to perform a clean install which kinda negates the point of it being an upgrade.  Try reading more on Microsoft's upgrade paths...

No offense, but you need to do more reading on Microsoft's upgrade paths yourself.  Like Vista, Windows 7 upgrades are license upgrades and they are intended to allow movement from 32 bit to 64 bit (and vice versa).  Yes, you need to do a clean install to go in either direction but that capability is intended by Microsoft to be an option in the "upgrade" process.  All Microsoft produced disk is a full bits installer, whether full version or upgrade disk.  The only difference that the upgrade disk includes a function to verify presence of a qualified licensed product.   If HP is doing OEM customized upgrades then there could be good reasons to offer only 32 bit (such as lack of 64 bit drivers from HP's end).  If, however, they are just doing a pass through of Microsoft's RTM version then, provided the processor supports the 64 bit OS, it should be an option.  Personally though, I would assume that there is a good reason since HP has been one of the industry's strongest proponents for the 64 bit version of Windows.  BTW, the OP's contention of going the route of BitTorrent is certainly no solution. That is ethically and morally bankrupt regardless of circumstances. 

Stephen

0 Kudos
LighT_Sh4v0r
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So the answer is no?

I was kinda hoping I could upgrade to 64-bit too. What's the use of having 4 Gig Ram when you can only get a 32-bit OS 😞

0 Kudos
Evenstar
Level 2
24 19 1 4
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Is this the problem I'm dreaming of when I migrate to Windows 7?  I have an HP C7280 All-in-One that I'm using with Ethernet hookup at least successfully with a Vista Ultimate 64-bit OS high-end laptop.  But HPs software/drivers for this printer are only v 10.  They will not release v 12 though there is a work around where you can use v 12 software from a different printer.  Is the C7280 a printer v 10 software really 32-bit that will run in a 64-bit OS?  Is HPs intention not to support the 32-bit C7280 printer at all with 64-bit Windows 7?  Thanks.
0 Kudos
rablackman
2 2 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
That is a Microsoft issue and not an HP one. I have Vista Home Premium 32 bit and when I purchased the upgrade to Vista Ultimate, Microsoft told me that I can not upgrade from a 32 bit version to a 64 bit version. I had to upgrad to the Ultimate 32 bit version because I had the 32 bit version originally. In order to change to a 64 bit version, I had to pay for a new license, not an upgrade one.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation