cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
itredler
6 3 0 0
Message 1 of 15
Flag Post

HP not honoring free upgrade from Vista to Windows 7

HP Recommended
When I purchased my machine in February 09 with Vista home edition I was promised on the web site and by the sales clerk that I would receive a free upgrade to Windows 7. Now I am told that only machines purchased after June 09 will qualify. I am furious and will not settle for this. Does anyone else have this issue.
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
cnfrisch
Level 7
945 945 50 137
Message 2 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Please review the official Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program from HP
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Expert - Consumer

0 Kudos
itredler
Author
6 3 0 0
Message 3 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended
why are you telling what I already know and complaining about?
0 Kudos
cnfrisch
Level 7
945 945 50 137
Message 4 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended
HP did not make any such promises as you assert in your original post.
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

0 Kudos
lmanlo
Level 2
14 14 1 0
Message 5 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Look you might have understood them wrong or you're saying something that they didn't say. They might have told you that there is going to be a free upgrade program for Windows 7 closer to when Windows 7 launches and thought you could get it when you bought it or you just want to accuse HP that they said that you would have the W7 Upgrade for free so you can get the upgrade. You should have looked for an official confirmation from Microsoft for the free upgrade from vista to W7, http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/06/25/announcing-the-windows-7-upgrade-option-program-amp-windows-7-pricing-bring-on-ga.aspx This link was released on June 25, 2009 and officially says that the free upgrade program was going to start on June 26, 2009 and this is directly form the Windows Blog. You made a mistake of listening to people and not looking for the official Microsoft Announcement. Your out of luck. Microsoft did this with xp to vista when vista came out and it was around the same months as vista to W7, so you should have also looked for past free upgrade. On February, Windows 7 date hasn't even been announced and the beta was still in progress as posted here on February 2009 http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/01/23/general-availability-for-the-windows-7-beta-to-end.aspx   So this goes back to the top, you should have looked at past free upgrades like xp to vista to check how many months before they will start the free upgrade program.

Message Edited by lmanlo on 10-12-2009 09:39 PM
0 Kudos
phantomII
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended
While I agree that HP may have been misunderstood by certain customers when speaking with them and while I also agree that the Windows7 upgrade criteria are posted for anyone to read, let me point out that the upgrade criteria were posted only one day prior to the beginning of the program.  The machine I purchased for my daughter the week (10 days) prior to the upgrade option becoming available included within the manuals sleeve a Windows7 Upgrade Option Program flier.  This flier refers customers to a now nonexistant web page at HP and the flier is vague enough that it is possible to misinterpret what it is trying to say.  This having been said, I think that HP may have jumped the gun a bit by including Windows7 upgade option information with products that clearly didn't meet the minimum purchase date requirement thereby misleading those customers into believing that the purchased product met the upgrade requirements.  Had I known about the upgarde program and the purchase requirements to qualify, I would have delayed my purchase by a week or two and been ready to upgrade when Windows7 becomes available.  HP, you may have done nothing wrong but, you certainly have mishandled this program.  I can not demand you make an attempt to fix this (mishandled program) but, I would hope that you are more careful in the timing of similar announcements in future.  I was about to make my third purchase (of a laptop) from HP in the past 4 months, however, I am giving serious consideration to Dell as a result of this "little" misunderstanding.
0 Kudos
Demon_Samurai
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I too was told the same thing and recieved a small flier for Windows 7 upgrade. I was told by the sales associate and the store manager that I would recieve an upgrade at the Sam's store I bought ours at. I'm just saying, You say it honor it period. Yes it would be nice to recieve my upgrade since I am getting mine through me and my wife's college. The point is, I purchased HP because of my experience that I have had with their printers and other products. I have stopped buying from other companies for less, I would hate to have to drop HP for Dell or some other half-hearted companies.
0 Kudos
m9x3mos
Level 1
14 9 0 0
Message 8 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Wow definatly seems like hp seems to have sent out information when it didn't apply but that also should have had the terms in it.  All other manufacturers are doing the same thing.  There is a start data and even if you purchase 1 day before you are denied. Stinks but those are the terms. All manufacturer will do the same thing (dell would be worse)  You also could not pay me enough to have another dell product. I have had 2 of their laptops in the family and 3 desktops all have had problems. My three laptops from hp and my grandparents hp desktop including the dv1660se running windows 7 i am typing on still works great and no problems.
0 Kudos
itredler
Author
6 3 0 0
Message 9 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Please do not tell me what HP told me. Not only was the upgrade mentioned in the technical details when I purchased, albeit it could be that my interpretation was not the same as the intent, but I checked the point with the HP sales clerk when I purchased it.  Several months ago, I called HP to ask when I would receive the upgrade and was told it would be mailed to me automatically,

The information I was given on the phone became part of the contract.

I am not going to drop this and if I have to sue, I will.

I know it is for a small amount but I will not be lied to and I have time and money to indulge my sense of right. 

. It does not make any difference to me what MS say, my contract is with HP and it is they who have to address the issue. I know contract law and I know where I stand.
Message Edited by itredler on 10-13-2009 10:55 PM
0 Kudos
cnfrisch
Level 7
945 945 50 137
Message 10 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Compose an email message and send it to: hpupgrade@arvatousa.com and they will respond to your inquiry.
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation