cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ruwsoft
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

Installing Win 7 RC on HP Pavilion DV6-1130sa

HP Recommended

I have the following questions with regard to Win 7 installation. The hard drive is currently containing the Vista partition and the recovery partition. I want to install Windoes 7 RC as a fresh installation onto the C drive with the ability to return back to Vista when needed and have the laptop functioning on the factory setup.

1) If I do a fresh install of Win 7 on the hard drive containing Vista Home Pre. 32bit (including the restore partition), will the restore partition stop working (ie from the boot up F11 option inclusive) ?

2) if restore partition does not work afterwards, If i use my restore dvd copies I ve created, will it create the restore partition back on the hard drive as it was form the factory? and allow me to return to vista home prem.

Please let me know if there is anyone out there who has tried the above with their HP laptops.

Thanking you for your time to help me.

Ruwsoft

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Daniel_Potyrala
Level 13
10,920 10,832 772 4,465
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

First make Vista backup. How to do it all informations here.

1) If You will leave Your Recovery parition it will still work.

2) No it will not create restore partition it will automaticaly recover Your system.

You may be also interested in dual boot.

This way You will have an option to use both system on one laptop.

How to dual boot Windows Vista and Windows 7 (Vista installed first) informations here
** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
3 REPLIES 3
Adamtech
Level 8
1,230 1,227 80 219
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended
The restore partition has been known to stop working when a different OS is installed. I would make the recovery discs first before upgrading so you may return the unit to Windows Vista in the future if you like. When using the recovery discs it will first recreate the recovery partition if missing or damaged.

*Remember to mark your questions solved and click the "Kudos" star to show your thanks!

Daniel_Potyrala
Level 13
10,920 10,832 772 4,465
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

First make Vista backup. How to do it all informations here.

1) If You will leave Your Recovery parition it will still work.

2) No it will not create restore partition it will automaticaly recover Your system.

You may be also interested in dual boot.

This way You will have an option to use both system on one laptop.

How to dual boot Windows Vista and Windows 7 (Vista installed first) informations here
** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

View solution in original post

ruwsoft
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your replies. I took the dual boot option. Let me explain the way things were and what I did for future reference of others.

Had 3 partitions before... C: vista & programs , 😧 personal stuff (including docs,pics,music,downloads [all moved from C:/users/ folder]), G: restore partition

C: 121Gb     😧 100Gb      G:10.7GB

Recovery used to work even with the drive letter moved to G and restore usually fixed C drive and left my own partition D untouched.

Now I shrinked D drive to 65Gb and got another partition of 35Gb.

I used this 35Gb to install Windows 7 RC1 (32bit).

F11 option is able to boot on to recovery manager as earlier.

Used 'msconfig' to change the default OS to load back to Vista from Windows 7.

Did not install any HP applications...but got the drivers sorted from the SW folder. So far Windows 7 seems to be running great.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation