cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
fatcat1111
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 19
Flag Post

Solved!

J4550 on Windows 7

HP Recommended

I've been happily running Windows 7 for the past month and a half or so. I just bought an Officejet J4550 AiO. When I plug it in to my computer, drivers are installed automatically, and Windows says that my device is ready to use. 

However it doesn't actually print! I can scan from the device to the computer, and the device can copy just fine, but when I print, the relevant line in the print queue just says "Deleted - Printed" (there are also a lot of other jobs that appear in the queue, named SerialNumberJob, which quickly disappear). 

Here's the contents of the window that appears after I plug it in:

--snip--

Driver Software Installation

Your device is ready to use

----------------
USB Composite Device                  Ready to use

HP Officejet J4500                         Ready to use

Officejet J4500 (DOT4USB)            Ready to use

USB Printing Support                    Ready to use

HP Officejet J4500 series (XPS)     Ready to use

IEEE1284.4 compatible printer       Ready to use

HP Officejet J4500 (DOT4PRINT)    Ready to use

[Close]

--snip--

The device appears in the Devices and Printers window as "HP Officejet J4500 series (XPS)". From its properties form, I can edit the usual setting, and see the list of installed drivers (there are 32, so I won't type them all here, but the main one is 62.71.1142.0). 

This is *not* the beta of Windows 7 by the way.

Can anybody tell me what the problem might be? 

Message Edited by fatcat1111 on 09-29-2009 11:52 AM
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bob_Headrick
Level 16
Level 16
33,519 26,842 2,444 9,254
Message 2 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

fatcat1111 wrote:

I've been happily running Windows 7 for the past month and a half or so. I just bought an Officejet J4550 AiO. When I plug it in to my computer, drivers are installed automatically, and Windows says that my device is ready to use. 

However it doesn't actually print! I can scan from the device to the computer, and the device can copy just fine, but when I print, the relevant line in the print queue just says "Deleted - Printed" (there are also a lot of other jobs that appear in the queue, named SerialNumberJob, which quickly disappear). 

--snip--

The device appears in the Devices and Printers window as "HP Officejet J4500 series (XPS)". From its properties form, I can edit the usual setting, and see the list of installed drivers (there are 32, so I won't type them all here, but the main one is 62.71.1142.0). 

I am not sure where the J4500 series (XPS) driver is from, but you might try the following:  go to the Printers folder, double-click the J4500, select Customeize Your Printer, Advanced, New Driver, Next, Windows Update, (wait a few minutes for list to repopulate), HP, HP Officejet 4500 Series, Next, Finish.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
18 REPLIES 18
Bob_Headrick
Level 16
Level 16
33,519 26,842 2,444 9,254
Message 2 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

fatcat1111 wrote:

--snip--

I am not sure where the J4500 series (XPS) driver is from, but you might try the following:  go to the Printers folder, double-click the J4500, select Customeize Your Printer, Advanced, New Driver, Next, Windows Update, (wait a few minutes for list to repopulate), HP, HP Officejet 4500 Series, Next, Finish.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

fatcat1111
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Why was this thread moved to "Windows 7 Beta"? I said specifically in my post that this is *not* the beta version of Windows 7.
DexterM
Level 10
4,502 4,475 304 1,050
Message 4 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@fatcat1111 wrote:
Why was this thread moved to "Windows 7 Beta"? I said specifically in my post that this is *not* the beta version of Windows 7.

Because this forum is for ALL Windows 7 related threads, be it beta, RC or the RTM. Until it is released to the public on October 22nd, all releases are considered Beta.

I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
fatcat1111
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended
No, nobody considers the final release of Windows 7 to be a beta.
fatcat1111
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yay! I went through the steps you prescribed and I can now print! The scanner still works as well.

Thanks much!
xshaney
Level 1
13 9 0 1
Message 7 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok Bob Headrick,

I did the solution u said above. And when I did it appear to work but few minutes later I got an ERROR appear saying that "NO PRINTER DRIVER IS INSTALLED, DO U WANT TO INSTALL A NEW PRINTER DRIVER" I click yes and did the steps u said to do. SAME PROBLEM APPEARED again and again and again. I use Windows 7 x64 [not a beta] and my printer driver is OfficeJet J4580. I guess I will have to wait till HP release the windows 7 x64 printer driver for my printer. =[

xshaney
Level 1
13 9 0 1
Message 8 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Nevermind... I fixed it ^_^. All I have to do is cancel and then try to print it and it work and so is scanning ^_^ Now I am gonna try to install the HP printer driver & applications [vista x64] I download from HP and see if I can solve any problems for Windows 7 ^_^
kdelfi2
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I followed your instructions. The only problem is, I cant find the 4500 officejet series anywhere.
illusionstj
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended
i can't find it either.  this fix is bogus.  
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation