cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
nancarrow
Level 1
4 2 1 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

Keep HP programs with Vista 64 bit to Win7 clean install

HP Recommended

My HP pavilion m9400t was purchased a year ago, and does not qualify for free upgrade.  Anyway, I think I am going to try Win 7.  I am gathering I need to do a clean install.  how do I save all the extra HP software that came installed originally with Vista (Hardware Diagnostics Tools, HP Advisor, HP Support info, Lightscribe, Cyberlink DVD suite, etc.).  I use these programs regularly, and want to be able to install them on Windows 7.  How do I save all of them?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
1badGuard
Level 8
2,491 2,488 134 244
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
You would need to perform an upgrade install. If you perform a clean install it will remove all HP software.
0 Kudos
nancarrow
Author
Level 1
4 2 1 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If that is the case,and I lose all the extra HP software... is there any way to save the programs to a DVD and re-install them after a clean Win7 install?

Where do I find those files?

OR conversly, if I do an overlay install of Win7 over vista, will it be fine, or will it be buggy?

0 Kudos
CherylG
Level 17
44,714 38,155 3,356 11,464
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I believe you may find some of what you need in C:\HP . You may have to enable 'Show hidden files and Folders' in Folder options to see that folder.

Not 100% sure on how much is available to you since the only HP desktop I have came with XP preinstalled.It does have the C:\HP folder though not quite as useful as the C:\SwSetup folder on laptops, it does have quite a bit

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
robgrave
Level 1
17 17 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@nancarrow wrote:

If that is the case,and I lose all the extra HP software... is there any way to save the programs to a DVD and re-install them after a clean Win7 install?

Where do I find those files?

OR conversly, if I do an overlay install of Win7 over vista, will it be fine, or will it be buggy?

Assuming the only sure way to keep the extra software (particularly the Cyberlink DVD Suite, which I'd hate to lose) would be to do an upgrade, would it at least be better to recover the original Vista installation first, before upgrading to Win 7? 

I'm thinking that the "cleaner" the Vista installation to begin with, the better the upgrade results.  That's purely intuitive on my part.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation