cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Judgen Sortich
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Laptop HP Pavilion dv8279ea & Windows 7

HP Recommended

I am planing to install Windows 7 on my HP dv8279ea laptop. Can I use Windows Vista drivers from HP Support&Drivers page for Windows 7. And do you plan to make Windows 7 drivers for my laptop model.

Thanks and sorry for bad English

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
melanchete
Level 6
672 671 22 90
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd446674.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e263796c-c7e4-44d6-96dd-32e821c88a25&displa...

Pavilion DV7-1285dx Notebook, Windows 7 64bit, Intel X2 P8600 2.40GHz, Nvidia GeForce 9600M, 6GB RAM, 2x 500GB HD(s)
0 Kudos
Judgen Sortich
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thanks for fast response. But, what if I want to do a clean install of Windows 7? (format C) What about drivers? And if i do update, like on links that you gave me, do all my programs and drivers stay saved on C?
Message Edited by Judgen Sortich on 05-04-2009 04:35 PM
0 Kudos
melanchete
Level 6
672 671 22 90
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Maybe yes and maybe no.  It is hard to tell, as you would have to check the HCL for Windows 7, but it has not been published.
Pavilion DV7-1285dx Notebook, Windows 7 64bit, Intel X2 P8600 2.40GHz, Nvidia GeForce 9600M, 6GB RAM, 2x 500GB HD(s)
0 Kudos
Judgen Sortich
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can my graphic card:

Video Graphics ATI RADEON® XPRESS 200M IGP graphics

Video Memory 128 MB dedicated video memory

support Windows 7 Aero theme and effects?

0 Kudos
rodde23
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Why does the sound from Mp3 and spotify hack. It's the same thing when I try to watch divx-movies.... Help me...

I've installed the latest drivers

Help  me

0 Kudos
SWY
Level 4
89 87 2 18
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you do a clean install but don't have it reformat the drive, all of the Vista drivers will be saved.  There will be a folder on the machine labeled Windows.old.  Most drivers will then be found under windows.old\windows\system32\drivers.  When I installed the RC on my laptop last week, I just pointed the driver update utility within Device Manager to that location for the handful of things it did not have native in Windows 7.  On my end, I then backed up that folder and few others where drivers tend to get deposited and deleted Windows.old.  Most Vista drivers will work for the stuff Windows 7 can't identify - there are exceptions but I haven't encountered one yet myself. 

BTW, contrary to what a lot of people have suggested, if your machine runs Recovery Manager to reinstall HP apps or your old OS it actually works fine under Windows 7.  If you go to C:\Windows.old\Program Files (x86)\SMINST (ditch the X86 part if you run a 32 bit OS), you will find the Recovery Manager app is preserved there.  You can copy it to the identical location under the Windows 7 Program Files (or Program Files x86 as applicable), and create a shortcut to restore7.exe - it will then function as it did before.  Of course, if someone is afraid there may be some missing file from another folder, just download the upgrade installer for Recovery Manager.  As long as it sees Recovery Manager in the correct location under Program Files or Program Files (x86), it will then update it to the current version (it won't though unless it sees the old app in the correct folder).  The only thing it will not do is create a menu item - you still then need to create a shortcut to restore7.exe. 

I have successfully used Recovery Manager under Windows 7 RC (x64) to reinstall a variety of apps (DVD player, webcam, the TV app, etc.) that came preinstalled with Vista.  I never tried to reinstall a driver though since I got the current ones either via Windows 7 or from the saved Vista drivers folder.  Indeed, while I'll use Recovery Manager for apps or if I need to reinstall Vista, using it for drivers under Windows 7 is too risky - I don't want it overwriting a Windows 7 driver with an old & out-of-date Vista driver.  

Stephen

0 Kudos
infomike
2 2 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
If you happen to run into some problems with your DVD drive, you could try to seefi this post helps: http://capitalhead.com/articles/windows-7-dvd-drive-not-working-problem-missing-disappeared-error-go...
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation