Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 17 (32,841 Views)

Laserjet 4 Driver

One of our printers is an indestructible HP Laserjet 4. HP has provided drivers for it through Windows Vista. Will a driver for this printer be provided in the fall for Windows 7?
Distinguished Professor
Message 2 of 17 (32,830 Views)

Re: Laserjet 4 Driver

Don't know about the future state of drivers for Windows 7. But... have you tried to install the Vista drive and use it?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=15042&lang=en&cc=us&t...

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Honor Student
Message 3 of 17 (31,118 Views)

I have not been able to get the LaserJet 4 print driver in Win 7 upgrade to work.  The printer worked with Windows Vista.  Frustrating!!!!  I wish HP would include various drivers on their web site.  Any suggestions?

Honor Student
Message 4 of 17 (31,069 Views)

I have upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit. and have a laserjet 4. Will drivers become available ? 

Honor Student
Message 5 of 17 (31,055 Views)

The Print Driver is NOT the problem.  When I switched printer ports the LaserJet 4 worked.   I have three laptops and none of them would work with the HP LaserJet 4 printer.  After selecting the Virtual Printer for USB all them are now functioning beautifully.

Honor Student
Message 6 of 17 (31,044 Views)

How did you switch the laserjet 4  to a USB port? Mine does not have one.

Jim

Student
Message 7 of 17 (30,600 Views)

I own a Laserjet 4 and on eBay it is very easy to find a parallel to USB lead (or rather USB to Centronics lead as the socket on the printer is called a Centronics socket) and I am using one now. I plugged the printer into my laptop running Windows 7 and it got installed automatically as Windows 7 includes HP Laserjet 4 and 4+ and 4M etc. drivers (if your version doesn't then they are on Windows Update)

Honor Student
Message 8 of 17 (30,595 Views)

Many thanks for the info. Will give it a try.  Jim

Intern
Message 9 of 17 (29,724 Views)

One of our printers is an indestructible HP Laserjet 4. HP has provided drivers for it through Windows Vista. Will a driver for this printer be provided in the fall for Windows 7?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
The print driver is available through the Win 7 OS.  If you try to add the printer and don't see the LaserJet 4 print driver, click on the "Windows Update" button and it will pull all available drivers from the Microsoft website.  This takes a bit of time.  After the process is completed, you should see the LaserJet 4 driver.  Select that driver and continue with the installation process.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
JA3 Student
Student
Message 10 of 17 (21,076 Views)

I have been trying to use Windows Update to access and download the additional drivers, including the Laserjet 4 driver.  It always tells me it was unable to access the driver file and to try again later.  This has been going on for a week.  Any ideas?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation