cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
FredM
Level 2
15 7 0 2
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

More direct way to tell if HP product is supported under Windows 7

HP Recommended

I find it quite difficult to find straight forward information in just a few clicks within these forums about whether or not my HP device (e.g., J6480) will (a) be supported under Windows 7 (b) will be fully functional (e.g., will HP Solution Center be fully functional under Windows 7 or will it be "crippled" so that things like scan-to-PDF and duplex printing won't work, except when using the physical buttons on the device).

It would be even better if there were a straight forward way to go to the main HP web site and find the above information instead of having to search for it in the user forums, but alas, trying to discern that above information from the main HP web site leads to a bewildering trip through screen after screen in the Windows 7 section, searching in vain for a list of HP devices supported by Windows 7 and to what degree the full set of functionality will be available. 

I went through this same frustrating scenario years ago when Vista came out and I tried to find out similar informatoin for my HP scanner.  It appears I'm in for the same frustrating search all over again.  Nothing has changed.  No lessons appear to have been learned by HP in the intervening years.

8 REPLIES 8
DexterM
Level 10
4,502 4,475 304 1,050
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I don't think HP has released the list of printers compatible with Windows 7 yet. But I'm 100% sure that the J6480 will have a full feature software and drivers package available when Windows 7 is officially released.
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
FredM
Author
Level 2
15 7 0 2
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the opinion regarding the J6480.

I think the J6400 series has been discontinued, so you can imagine the heightened level of concern on my part regarding its longevity as a fully functional device under Windows 7.

The nasty back-and-forth fight between HP and Microsoft on why there weren't Vista drivers when Vista was first released to the public (MS: we gave you the driver specs three years ago, HP: you kept changing that spec right up to the last beta, so don't blame us) is not something I wish to see repeated with Windows 7.  That kind of playground fight didn't help get Vista off to a good start.  I avoided Vista because my HP scanner wasn't supported.  I only replaced it (and my HP LaserJet 6L) this year with a J6480 and am not in the mood for more "planned obsolescence" on the part of HP or Microsoft when it comes to running my HP devices *WITH FULL FUNCTIONALITY* on Windows 7.

DexterM
Level 10
4,502 4,475 304 1,050
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
the J6400 is far from being obsolete. HP printers are considered obsolete after being in the market for 5 years since their time of release, and the J6400 has been out for about 1.5 years i believe, so it will be one of those products that will get a full feature software, you can be sure of this.
manfredfunke
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello HP employee,

Can you tell where to find the driver for the J6424  to use with Windows 7?  The one currently available does not work.  Thanks

FredM
Author
Level 2
15 7 0 2
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I pulled down a copy of the official August 6, 2009 release of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit edition, carved out a small 20GB partition on my hard drive and installed it side-by-side with Vista Ultimate SP2 (with Vista still the default).  My HP J6480 was recognized during the Windows 7 install and I was prompted to provide its (hard-coded by me) wireless network IP address and the wireless network security (via WPA2) password to give it "basic" functionality.

When I tried to install HP Solution Center (the latest one from the HP support site, not the one on the original CD), it refused to intall initially, but after I let Win7 determine the compatibility level of the installation routine, it installed correctly. 

When I tried to use HP Solutoin Center it kept saying my printer wasn't available even thought I could use Windows Properties/Print Test Page successfully.  Finally, I noticed that under Control Panel/Printers, there were two J6480 printers, one with a 'regular IP address' (the one Windows 7 discovered during intial install) and a second one that the HP installation software created.  That second one was the default printer and did not work with HP Solution Center.  Using Control Panel, I changed the default printer back to the original one that Windows 7 installer discovered and configured.  Doing so fixed the problem.  I printed and scanned several things via HP Soluion Center and they all worked correctly.  I don't use the fax part, so I cannot comment on Windows 7 compatibility.

Being a bit more curious, I saw that the second printer that the HP installation software created was not a 'regular IP' type of device, but something with the letters WPS.  I'm not sure what a WPS printer is.  All I know is that the one using a regular IP address protocol is the one that works for me.

Message Edited by FredM on 08-11-2009 01:07 PM
Message Edited by FredM on 08-11-2009 01:08 PM
Message Edited by FredM on 08-11-2009 01:09 PM
DexterM
Level 10
4,502 4,475 304 1,050
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@manfredfunke wrote:

Hello HP employee,

Can you tell where to find the driver for the J6424  to use with Windows 7?  The one currently available does not work.  Thanks

Windows 7 drivers for this printer has not yet been released. Use the Windows Vista driver and run it under VIsta Compatibility mode.

yehYehuai
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I have the same promlem opening the solution center, in win7beta, even after I've changed the solution center's compatibility to vista1, and then vista2 awhile running as administor. but still it shows me an error that my devic (all in one printer)  is not connected although it is, or the installation is'nt complete, which is also not true.

what should i do in order to fix this problem and use the solution center already?? 
sdwelling
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Here it is, release week for Windows 7 and no drivers. You'd have to be lying to tell me that HP didn't have some interface documents from Microsoft to write drivers for printers and all-in-ones... The latest info on my 6480 is Jan 31st for drivers. Wow. How is it that you can load every pc in the inventory with Win 7, but not support printers that these very customers have at home???
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation