cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
GC1948
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Need a bit of advice before I update to Win7, or perhaps throw my laptop through a wall

HP Recommended

I've got a month-old G60, and Vista just crashed (blue screen on any non-safe-mode boot-up) and I was wondering if I will be able to install windows 7 to a computer in this state.  The reason I ask is that I don't want to have to take it into a repair-shop, considering that windows 7 ships on wednesday and I might be able to solve the problem with a new OS.  Just so you know, I tried system restore at various restore points to no avail, and I have no recovery discs because the disc creation program would not work before this happened--and, again, I would rather not have to purchase new discs when a new OS would fix it.

Any reply would be repaid a hunderdfold in warm fuzzy karma, I`m sure.

Thank you so much.

-Geoff

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
lmanlo
Level 2
14 14 1 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have you tried pressing F10 for the System Recovery at the very beginning of the startup. That should take you to the option to reformat your computer to the way you bought it and you might loose your files. 

Either way it might erase your files if you do the upgrade because it will bring everything from vista to 7 and the error might do or disrupt something. So the best way is to reformat the computer and then do the upgrade or do a Custom install and that should put all the files in windows.old and you can grab what you want from there and when you did you can delete that folder as it takes too much space if there is nothing you need. But you will need to install all the programs from there and in the folder swsetup, the programs that came with HP should be there.

Hope this helps. 

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation