cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
baldwinms
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Need free upgrade to all Vista users

HP Recommended

I purchased a Pavilion Notebook Entertainment dv2700 in June 2008, I didn't know about the difference in a 64bit and 32bit Vista. I had numerous problems with my applications and software, so in August HP exchanged it for me. It did work better with my applications with a few patches and some new Software for Quicken, my printer and Family Tree maker. However, I hate the search program. It doesn't search the way the older systems did and didn't find files that I knew were there. I have to go through every application and file to find what I want. 

There are many glitches with Vista that make errors more common.  I think Microsoft and HP should offer the free Windows 7 upgrade to those like myself feel we were ripped off with Vista.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
SWY
Level 4
89 87 2 18
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yet another one of these incredibly tedious posts.  To get straight to the point:

1) If you bought an x64 OS loaded computer without doing your homework that was definitively your fault.

2) Vista is a solid and stable OS - far more so than XP was at the same point in its product history.  People just forget (or ignore) how bad XP was well into SP 2.  Actually, it is still Microsoft's least secure OS.  It is also the OS that made BSOD an industry wide acronym.  The only thing in XP's favor is that it has been around for so long, people have forgotten what a mess it was and have adapted its quirks, crashes, and issues into their workflow. 

3) Do you expect HP should give you a free computer in 2011, if you don't like the one you bought last year?  For that matter, is the manufacturer of your car going to give you a new one if you don't like the one you bought a couple years ago?  How about your toaster or your television or your microwave? 

4) So you don't like Vista and point out the Search function as a problem and want a free copy of Windows 7 that uses the same Search function? They may have improved the speed but it is still based upon WIndows Search 4.0.  BTW, if you think I am championing Microsoft, I hate Windows Search 4.0 and am one of the people who filed bug reports over the performance hit Vista took when Search hung up trying to index large and/or complicated files and complicated graphics.  They may have fixed the performance impact in Windows 7 but it is still the same search function. 

Sorry if I am not being very nice but these "I want something for free" posts got old months ago.  I hated Windows ME and loath XP - does that mean I should get the next couple versions for free? 

Stephen

Bskull
Level 4
138 138 4 24
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I would have to agree. People like you will be never satisfied. I digress, let me put this to you in a much more reasonable standing. OS and software in itself can only be so free of bugs for such a thing is common with any computer no matter if you build it yourself or purchase it from a store. Also, expect change to happen when Microsoft changes its OS as they do what they feel is right and operable with their customers. I happen to like the search functions in vista a lot better than XP. The reason why I still have XP is the fact that I am waiting to see how Windows 7 will be when it goes gold.
worked with HP employee for 2 years. Freelance tech support for 11 years.
0 Kudos
bryanm1138
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Swy, that was great. It's like you read my mind directly. Anyway, enough said.
0 Kudos
Vaika
Level 5
259 258 11 69
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/3832-45-windows-sucks-hard-truth

Read this whole thread from back when XP was still relatively new, and tell me that Windows Vista is having any different reactions from people.

Please also read this: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/mojave-experiment/ - This is an experiment where Microsoft told people about its "new, upcoming" OS named Mojave.  People loved it!  What was it really?  Vista, minus all the negative stigma and bias people with no experience with the industry or the OS have.

No matter what Microsoft does, there will ALWAYS be people that have problems using their ancient hardware and software with the new operating system.  People don't like change.  Not only do you have Windows Vista, but you have 64-bit OS, which is new and going through its own growing pains-- so you purchased a computer with a very new OS that, yes, is going to have compatibility problems with your ancient software and hardware.

Personally, I love Vista.  I will not be switching to Windows 7 until I purchase a new computer when mine gets too old to do what I need it to do.  I have never had any problems with Vista. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My posts are my opinions and experiences from working in the tech industry 🙂
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation