Try this: When you're installing the software, and get this this window again, press and hold the Ctrl+Shift button and click on the Cancel button in this window. See if you can proceed then. You may get the same warning again, so do the same thing again and again until you can't do it anymore, or the installation is complete.
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
Actually, I found a way around this, based on mixing a few other answers on this forum.
Here's what to do:
1) After the first failed attempt at installing, go into the Temp directory (open by Start>Run>%temp%)
2) Find the directory called 7zS(something). Copy this directory to your Desktop or some other convenient location.
3) Open the copied directory and locate the Setup.exe file.
4) Right-click on the Setup.exe file and select Properties
5) In the properties dialogue, select the Compatibility tab.
6) ....and then check Run as Administrator, and Run in [any] Windows XP mode.
7) Press Apply to save and close the Properties box. You still CANNOT use this setup.exe file, but fear not.... instead:
😎 Open Device Manager and plug in the USB connector of your printer, while carefully observing the Device Mgr window.
9) Windows 7 should be able to recognise the "new device" as a printer. Right click on the new device and select "Update Driver".
10) Windows will then ask you where to find the drivers. At this point select the folder with the setup.exe file that you modified earlier.
Et voila, now the driver installs!
I was able to print just fine, but I haven't checked if the scanner works.
Windows 7 displays a very fancy picture of a scanner with a little green, ticked check-box next to it, so I think it works.
Message to HP: I have worked in IT for many years, so obviously I don't mind terribly improvising in this way (apart from the couple of hours lost on messing around with this. But really, there ought to be a Win 7 compatible installer for this popular printer available for download.
I've just reinstalled all my software on Win7 and this is actually the first problem that I've encountered.
Message Edited by Hanna on 10-08-2009 01:27 PM
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.