cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
lowbar
Level 3
41 33 2 3
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

Recovering utilities after a clean install

HP Recommended

I have a 6 month old HP Pavilion Elite m9600t.  I am preparing for Windows 7 and I am planning my upgrade strategy.  For performance reasons I would like to do a clean install instead of a Vista to 7 in place upgrade.   If I do that is there a way for my to recover the HP provided utilities such as Easy Backup, Cyberlink DVD Suite, etc.

lowbar 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CherylG
Level 17
44,714 37,895 3,357 11,498
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Two folders you can copy to dvd or usb flash drive before installing Win 7. 'SMINST' in your Windows folder and another on C: drive ,should see one titled HP..inside are drivers and apps that are available to reinstall using 'Install_APP.exe' in the SMINST folder.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
4 REPLIES 4
Bookworm
Level 7
Level 7
945 933 45 145
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
If you do a clean Win 7 install from Microsoft you will not have any of the Applications that came with your HP image.
The only way you could get them is if they are posted on HP.com today as a download.
I am an HP employee
Knowledge is power...Power to the people
Mister_Do
Level 10
Level 10
2,174 2,103 101 386
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi lowbar,

When you say "recover" do you mean is there a way to install these applications on your new Win 7 install, or do you mean re-install later if you decide you want to go back to Vista?

If you are looking for the former, I'm not positive you will be able to get all the programs back for Win 7 as there may be non-Win 7 compatible software that came on your Vista PC. You may be able to get updates or new versions of the software that will work for Win 7. After Win 7 releases, you can periodically check your Product Support Software and Driver Download page to see if Win 7 updates have become available.

Here is your Software and Driver page: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=3943774&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us 

If you are just looking to have the files ready to re-install later should you want to go back to Vista, you can create recovery discs from your the System Recovery software and then if you ever need them you can just reinstall them.

Here is an HP Support Document that explains how to obtain software and drivers and it links to recovery options.

Let us know how it goes.

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
pcah9
Level 4
144 128 8 22
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have put this info in another thread i answered some time ago.I am dual booting 64 bit vista and 64bit windows 7 and i own a 6 month old a6744uk,i too wanted all the software that came with my pc to run on windows 7 and after many hours on the internet i found ALL the applications that shipped with my pc are available and do run on windows 7.

Here is an example of HP Mediasmart software,download it save to an an external hard drive and then install it on windows 7 using vista sp2 compatibility mode,as i said i have found ALL the software so just spend abit of time searching....Here is the link:-http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=373970

CherylG
Level 17
44,714 37,895 3,357 11,498
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Two folders you can copy to dvd or usb flash drive before installing Win 7. 'SMINST' in your Windows folder and another on C: drive ,should see one titled HP..inside are drivers and apps that are available to reinstall using 'Install_APP.exe' in the SMINST folder.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation