cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
GMS
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 15
Flag Post

Solved!

UPGRADE VISTA TO WINDOWS 7

HP Recommended

I JUST BOUGHT A REFURBISHED HP LAPTOP WITH VISTA ON IT.  IT was delivered yesterday.  Now I hear that Vista is being pulled and replaced by

Windows 7. 

Will Hp or Microsoft upgrade my system for free......do I want Windows 7?

14 REPLIES 14
Kalt
Level 12
4,535 4,501 384 1,083
Message 2 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Vista is not being pulled.....Windows 7 is the next release of Windows and it won't be out for awhile.  You will receive no free upgrades.
0 Kudos
cnfrisch
Level 7
945 945 50 137
Message 3 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended
You heard wrong.  Windows Vista is not being pulled at all.  Windows 7 is just the next operating system due out early next year.  When it becomes available, you can purchase it.  There will be no freebies.
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Expert - Consumer

ArmandoZarco
2 2 0 0
Message 4 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Win 7 will be out later this year maybe by 4th quarter.  Microsoft has released information about their Windows 7 Upgrade Program. The most interesting detail would probably be that the program begins July 1st 2009. 

Starting from July 1, anyone who purchases a PC with a qualified edition of Windows Vista will be eligible for a free upgrade. What this means is only the following upgrade paths would be available for those who purchase a Vista PC after July 1st:

• Windows Vista Home Premium Edition -> Windows 7 Home Premium Edition
  • Windows Vista Business Edition -> Windows 7 Professional Edition
  • Windows Vista Ultimate Edition -> Windows 7 Ultimate Edition
0 Kudos
xXKingHPXx
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 5 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I have a problem with Windows 7 and XP on my HP Pavilion a1730n PC. On both XP and Windows 7, something is wrong with the graphics card. When I put it to sleep and wake it later on, it shows a black screen with only a line at the top showing the logon screen colours. Everytime this happens, I have to restart my computer by holding the power button because i can't anything except for a line at the top. This does not happen on Vista. It only happens on Windows 7 and XP. Someone please tell me what is wrong. Thanks!
0 Kudos
milesrf
Level 5
296 271 4 19
Message 6 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's likely to mean that Vista comes with a driver for that graphics card, and neither XP nor Windows 7 do. You may have to check with the manufacturer of that graphics card to see if they have versions of the driver for the other two.

Also, Windows 7 is still in beta test, and may not have its final list of drivers included yet.

0 Kudos
Ez_Customs
Level 3
68 66 0 1
Message 7 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Umm that isn't a uncommon problem if you are using HP drivers.  With my experience with any OEM manufacture computer the Video drivers always have annoyances.  Try the manufactures of the Device directly.  I always use the nVidia and ATI drivers in all the notebooks I work on and the problem goes away and the recovery from any power saving state is fixed.  Also most the time HP blames it on the BIOS, and to get a BIOS update.  So far to date this has never fixed it for me, and really only made it worse.   GL!!  Vista Drivers are suppose to work correctly in Windows 7.   Matter of Fact my dv7z-1000 CTO notebook's drivers work better in Windows 7 then the VIsta they were designed for.
It's not just just a computer, it is what YOU want!!!!
0 Kudos
Kalt
Level 12
4,535 4,501 384 1,083
Message 8 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ewrayjr wrote:
Any idea on when HP will provide free upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista on new machine purchases?

HP's Official Windows 7 Information Page     |     Microsoft's Official Windows 7 Site    

As far as a "FREE" upgrade....If you already own a computer with Windows Vista you won't receive a free/discounted Windows 7 license.

If you buy a computer after June 26th, you may be eligible for the free/discounted Windows 7 upgrade.  [See here for more information]

0 Kudos
DeniseM-Toronto
Level 4
82 73 1 12
Message 9 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

xxxxxKingHpxx, I'm not sure you can do that.  I mean have both XP and Vista on an a1730n.  XP needs BIOS 3.10 and Vista needs BIOS 5.07.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Ez_Customs
Level 3
68 66 0 1
Message 10 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended
well yeah he can, why wouldn't you be able to.  BIOS is backward compatable and Vista still uses the same extentions as XP and then some.  He should have no problem installing XP on a vista machine accept drivers and how to install them!!
It's not just just a computer, it is what YOU want!!!!
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation