cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
sanibeljazz
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

Upgrades to HP Pavilion dv6338se

HP Recommended

I have an HP Pavilion dv6338se running the latest bios, 2.5Gb memory, real Windows 7.  Two questions:

1) Do you have beta drivers available for this computer for Win 7 I can test?

2) The CPU is an AMD Turion 64X2 running at 1.8 GHz.  What is the fastest AMD cpu that I can install

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Vidya
Level 14
Level 14
6,936 6,904 720 2,780
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You can upgrade upto AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology 2.4GHz. Please ensure that the socket is S1.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
4 REPLIES 4
Vidya
Level 14
Level 14
6,936 6,904 720 2,780
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You can upgrade upto AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology 2.4GHz. Please ensure that the socket is S1.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***

View solution in original post

RasterBlaster
Level 11
Level 11
2,604 2,584 187 712
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

1) HP is releasing drivers as they are tested and become available for Windows 7. I know that for Pavilion and Presario PCs, these are full version drivers. For these PCs HP has stated they do not support beta software that HP does not own. Of course, most of teh Vista drivers work in 7. I have upgrade 3 machines now with beta and RC and there were only a few minor apps that had trouble. The biggest was a Symantec AV product that required upgrading.

2) Not entirely sure on the processor. HP prvides a list of replacement parts? http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01035677.pdf

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
wx2dzug
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I have to ask, you said you had 2.5Gb memory, yet the HP site says that 2Gb is the max for this computer.  Can I indeed put more than 2Gb in my laptop?  I would like to upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit so that 4GB would be supported rather than just 3, but if the laptop itself only supports 2, then it would all just be a waste of money.  What can you tell me?  Anything would be useful.
rgivs
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The site might have a spelling error then. It's indeed 4GB max. I am currently using 4GB in my DV6338SE with the AMD x2 64 processor. Unless you seem to have a non-64bit processor than 2GB will be the max for you. 32bit can not exceed 2GB of memory.

You should (if you have the 64bit processor) be able to upgrade to Windows7 64 with no issues. Mine actually runs a lot better on a 64bit platform than any 32bit OS. I also use uBuntu 64 and have tested many OS's on this system and the only ones that seem to freeze more than others in 32bit Vista (which is garbage anyways).

If you have a 64bit processor than it should be something like this....

AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-XX

I hope this helps you in some way.

-Rob

http://rgivs.com/
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation