cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
JimT
Level 6
595 539 31 56
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Solved!

What happened to WMP Toolbars option in win7?

HP Recommended

With WinXP and Vista, when you right click the toolbar, you can select (check mark) "Toolbars->Windows Media Player".  This enables you to minimize WMP and it then is displayed in the taskbar with [Stop|Previous|Play|Next|Volume] .  What happened to this option in Win7? How can I do the same in Win7?

Thanks in advance...

Jim

HP Elite X2 1012 G2, HP ENVY 17-j005tx Notebook, HP ENVY Recline 27-k001a, HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G2020T, HP MediaSmart EX495 Server, HP MediaVault 2020, HP ENVY 120 AiO Printer
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JimT
Author
Level 6
595 539 31 56
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

looks like WMP12 (Windows 7) no longer has this feature and the only way to get it back is to downgrade to WMP11, which I'm considering doing as I have also found Whitecap from soundspectrum.com doesn't work at all with WMP12...

Here is more info on how to downgrade to WMP11 (Vista version) on Windows 7,...

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-get-windows-media-player-wmp-taskbar-toolbar-back-in-windows-7/

Seems this is bugging lots of Windows users amongst some other features that WMP11 had are no longer available in WMP12...

Message Edited by JimT on 09-04-2009 08:16 AM
HP Elite X2 1012 G2, HP ENVY 17-j005tx Notebook, HP ENVY Recline 27-k001a, HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G2020T, HP MediaSmart EX495 Server, HP MediaVault 2020, HP ENVY 120 AiO Printer

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
7 REPLIES 7
DexterM
Level 10
4,502 4,475 304 1,050
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
With the Aero interface turned on, if you point your mouse over the WMP taskbar icon, you'll get a thumbnail view of the WMP window, plus the Previous|Pause|Next buttons below it.
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
JimT
Author
Level 6
595 539 31 56
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
yeah i did notice that, but not really good when you want to watch a video or something while working on another application.  It's a shame the option has been deleted or not even considered for Win7, hopefully in next SP for win7 it will be made available again..
JimT
Author
Level 6
595 539 31 56
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just come across this while searching google... might give it a go...

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=726520&pid=590476916&mode=threaded&show=&st=#entry59...

Looks like after some more tinkering, I've got it worked out.

*** PROCEED AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION! I cannot be held responsible if something breaks. Any bug reports sent about this to Microsoft will probably be shot down faster than a UFO over Roswell, as this is completely unsupported. You've been warned. ***

- Locate a copy of wmpband.dll from an installation of Windows Vista - it is located in X:\Program Files\Windows Media Player, where X stands for your installation drive.
- Copy the file to your desktop on Windows 7 and rename it to wmpband2.dll.
- Move the file to Z:\Program Files\Windows Media Player, where Z stands for your Windows 7 drive.
- When prompted by User Account Control for permission, click on Continue.
- Open an elevated command prompt window (Right click on Command Prompt, click Run as Administrator, and provide consent to the User Account Control dialog).
- Type the following command: regsvr32 “%ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\wmpband2.dll”. You should be presented with a dialog stating that the registration completed successfully.
- Restart Windows Explorer by typing the following command in the command prompt: taskkill.exe /F /IM explorer.exe && explorer.exe
- Open Windows Media Player and begin playing a song, and then minimize the player window.
- Right click on the Taskbar, click on Toolbars, and then click on Windows Media Player. It should appear within a few seconds.

There are some known issues with this, such as the deskband not appearing correctly, disappearing, and the visualization does not work correctly. Don’t bother sending bug reports to Microsoft about this, or anything related to Windows Media Player after performing this is not a supported configuration.

This post has been edited by Mercellus: Jan 25 2009, 09:54

DexterM
Level 10
4,502 4,475 304 1,050
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I'm curious. If you change your theme to Vista Basic or even the XP theme, does the WMP toolbar not come up?
JimT
Author
Level 6
595 539 31 56
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

looks like WMP12 (Windows 7) no longer has this feature and the only way to get it back is to downgrade to WMP11, which I'm considering doing as I have also found Whitecap from soundspectrum.com doesn't work at all with WMP12...

Here is more info on how to downgrade to WMP11 (Vista version) on Windows 7,...

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-get-windows-media-player-wmp-taskbar-toolbar-back-in-windows-7/

Seems this is bugging lots of Windows users amongst some other features that WMP11 had are no longer available in WMP12...

Message Edited by JimT on 09-04-2009 08:16 AM

View solution in original post

DexterM
Level 10
4,502 4,475 304 1,050
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I never really understood why WMP is so loved. I've used Winamp for a LONG time for music, and used VLC and GOM player for videos. Oh well...
JimT
Author
Level 6
595 539 31 56
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@DexterM wrote:
I never really understood why WMP is so loved. I've used Winamp for a LONG time for music, and used VLC and GOM player for videos. Oh well...

Dexter,

We're all different, some do some don't some will some won't!  However, I found my remote don't work with winamp and vlc, don't know anything about GOM - remote works with WMP and its all bundled into one simple application....

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation