cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
wc4r
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Win7 64-bit driver for Photosmart 7550

HP Recommended

I have Windows 7 64-bit. I need a driver for my HP Photosmart 7550 printer. The Deskjet 5550 alternative driver will not work.

Short of dumping the printer, what can I do? Is there a driver to be released soon?

Joe 

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RotorMarc
Level 2
30 26 0 0
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Gee, I hate to say "You've got to be kidding me" but ... (I have a bad attitude over the following)

HP dropped the 7550 when they went to Vista, I see no way that all of a sudden they will support 7 on this.

Now I'm going to see if they do the same to the photosmart premium C309a, see my other thread.

I still have my 7550, it is a terrific photo printer, however without access to the SW, memory card slots, etc. there was no reason to have it on my vista system without full functionality, and HP dropped the ball on it at a time when it was one of the best out there. It was not an outdated model by any means when Vista was released either. Hp seems to have a method where they move on and make you go out and get a new model to go with the new OS, if this becomes the case witht he C309a, I'll be done with their line of printers, both at my home and office.

I hate saying that. I've lived with the bloatware, the patches, and patiently waited for SW that goes with what I think is good hardware (at least I havent had major HW issues, I had an older DJ560 that was serviced in Corvalis, great job) but lately I believe they wish to rest on their history and public name perception. When my fairly new released printer is not supported (and basic functionality of an AIO is for all functions, not just printing) with an OS that was in RC when it came out, then it may be time to make a move.

We'll see after the 22nd.

0 Kudos
wrawsky
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same issue with the 7550 and Win7-64bit, although my printer "functions" with the 5550 driver but without the extra features that I often use with the 7550 work: multi-photo print on a page, ability to select proper print resolution, etc.

I have a LaserJet 4ML that's about 18 years old, still works great on Win7 (albeit with limited print resolution due to the technology available when it was produced, not any issue with HP on this).  So not supporting the 5 year old 7550 printer with an appropriate Win7 driver and printing software is totally unacceptable to me, and will result in no further HP product purchases of ANY kind if it isn't resolved.  This is not what I'd come to expect from HP, having owned and used many of their products over the past 20+ years in the IT profession.

A friend has recommended that I check out another brand, won't mention the name but we'll just call them "K", with a new print cartridge technology that is MUCH less expensive than the ink jet cartridges for the 7550.  Could probably pay for the new printer in less than a year just in ink cost savings.

0 Kudos
unhappy_with_HP
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Great printer.  Best photo printer I have used.   It is really disappointing that HP has given up on supplying a driver.  I personally will never buy another printer from a company that doesn't value their customers enough to keep them happy.  I now have over $100 worth of ink that is useless.  Thanks HP.

0 Kudos
IT_Florida
Level 1
7 7 0 1
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a HP Photosmart 7550 attached to a WinXP 32-bit machine acting as a print server on my home network.  I did the following to install the HP Photosmart 7550 printer on my Win 7 64 bit Professional:

Start

Devices and Printers

Add a printer

ADD A LOCAL PRINTER (My Win 7 machine is on the network away from the print server.  The printer is not physically attached to the Win 7 machine.)

Create a new port.  Type:  Local port.

For Enter a port name:  \\PrintServerComputerName\Photosmart7550ShareName

(If you get an error message here saying it can't connect, then you have issues seeing the shares over your network.  Resolve this first before installing the printer.  Make sure your security settings on the share is not restrictive, check your firewall settings, disable browser service if necessary, also check your network settings on the Win7 machine.  Are you using password protect?  Are you using homegroup?  I got rid of them all.)

Once you get through you will be asked to assign a print driver.  Before doing this, click on Windows Update button.  Once the driver has been updated, find the driver HP Photosmart 7400 series.  I did not use the Deskjet 5550 series.

Finish installing and print a test page.

0 Kudos
Beauman
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well here it is June, 2012 and still no 7550 driver for Windows 7.  I have 3 hp devices and none have drivers for Windows 7.  Goodbye HP.  Planned obsolence????  I will no longer buy your products!

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Fanreader
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for this information! This resolve my issue as well.

Networked HP Photoshop 7550 connected to Win XP 32-bit for my Win 7 Home Premium

0 Kudos
adriangonzalez6
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

necesito porfavor el controlador

0 Kudos
kurteduard
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am sitting here with for me two expensive HP printers, with new an Windows 7, 64 computer and find that HP does not support the printers i have anymore.

My HP 7550 will not even be visible on my PC, and for my "wireless" Deskjet 5850 i also installed HP's "alternative driver" several times, USB, Network connected, I re-named the drive and tried other suggested "trick's" to get my expensive HP printers working without any luck........so here's my solution to the problem......I throw the HP printers in the trash can.... and went out to Officemax and bought an Brother pro printer MFC-J6910dw for the same I paid for the HP 7550..and got for me a much better printer there even handles A3 format.....no more problems and no more HP for me.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation