cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
adamsharif
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Windows 10 TP / Omni 10 5600?

HP Recommended

Hi all,

Earlier in the year I tried to install the technical preview on my Omni 10 but was unable to do so, something to do with available space for the upgrade, at the time I read that it was because the installer was not yet optimised for devices with relatively small storage.

Has anyone managed to install one of the later builds on an Omni 10, and if so could you give me a little advice on how to do so successfully?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Bob_Headrick
Level 16
Level 16
33,310 26,665 2,425 8,965
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It has been a while ago and I am a bit fuzzy on the details, but I did get an early build working on Windows 10.  My recollection of the process went something like this:

• Attach an OTG adapter so a keyboard can be connected - needed at the time to get into the BIOS to turn off secure boot.  (I think recent builds support secure boot, this might not be needed.)
  • Clean up all unnecessary files.
  • I think I put the installation files on an SD card.
  • I had to turn off the paging file to have enough space, and then turn it back on after the update to allow the system to actually run.  It was at this point that things finally worked, turning off the paging file finally did the trick.  

After the initial build was installed there were no problems just doing updates as they came along, at least through 10074.  I was having some trouble with 10122 but have not spent any time tracking that one down.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"

0 Kudos
adamsharif
Author
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thanks Bob, I'll give that a go, very helpful!

On a separate note, how did you find W10 on the Omni 10, do you reckon it's worth the effort to upgrade for now?
0 Kudos
Bob_Headrick
Level 16
Level 16
33,310 26,665 2,425 8,965
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The builds are coming fast enough and my internet bandwidth is slow enough that it is probably still early for Windows 10, at least in terms of doing "real" work.  I have been doing most of my playing in Windows 10 on a virtual machine on my laptop.  That is an x64 system, so I have to download a separate update for the Omni's x86 system.

It does seem to run OK on the Omni 10, I do like the user intereface better on Windows 10 than on 8 or 8.1. 

If you like to tinker it is probably worth looking at, but expect that for the near term you will be doing lots of updates as the builds near RTM.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation