cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
keithp777
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Windows 7 Drivers Needed for Deskjet 6540

HP Recommended

Hello,

We use 2 Deskjet 6540's @ my office. I have the windows 7 RC, and cannot get it to load drivers for the printers. I download the vista driver, and it says This driver is not for windows 7.and does not give me a "so what" option.

any help would be appreciated.

Keith

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
DexterM
Level 10
4,502 4,478 304 1,048
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Please refer to THIS thread.
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
0 Kudos
oliaseleven
Level 1
4 3 1 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
What if we don't have a driver CD for Vista? I need the driver installed so I can set my 6540 up for auto duplex printing now that I have my duplexer as indicated in the 6540's users manual (changing "duplexer" to "installed" in Win 7's printer prefereces in Devices & Printers doesn't work), but my 6540 predates Vista so it never came with a Vista driver disk. The downloads for Vista don't offer a Vista version of the application that the user's manual refers to, and I can't seem to get Win 7 to do it for me... My duplexer is dead in teh water because HP doesn't offer Win 7 support yet!
0 Kudos
GhostCard
Level 1
9 7 0 1
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As of today Sept 16, 2011 the printer drivers from windows 7 work. It still requires some effort.

1) let the printer install (if it is already and the following steps do not work remove the device and let it reinstall)

2) right click on the printer in "Devices and Printers"

3) select "Printer Properties"

4) go to the "Device Setting" tab in the top row in the middle

5) under "installable options" click after the duplexer options and select "installed" from the drop down menu

6) click "OK"

I take no responsibility it this does not work for you, it work for me on Window 7 SP1

0 Kudos
axxis
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

drivers for HP Deskjet 6540

0 Kudos
Marco42
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
This worked for me. Thank you. I shall probably opt to buy a new printer later but at least I can now wait until I've used up my stock of ink cartridges for this one. I'm using Windows 7 32-bit.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation