cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
troymv505
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Windows 7 Issues - Battery Performance and Overheating

HP Recommended
My dv2550se came with Vista, I recently wiped it clean and loaded up WIndows 7 Pro (final release, available through my college). Since I've loaded Windows 7, I've noticed a two specific problems. The battery life has went from 1.5 hours to 10 minutes and it started to shut itself off after a few hours of use. The bottom by the hard drive gets extremely hot and the fan runs non stop before it shuts down. It think windows 7 and the BIOS are not playing nice, I have never had this problem with this laptop until I upgraded. It is worth mentioned I did put in a new hard drive when I put in Windows 7, maybe it is just hardware related? Not sure but I wish HP would release some Windows 7 supported BIOS updates and drivers to address this.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
SWY
Level 4
89 87 2 18
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

FWIW, in general, battery life improves with Windows 7 - mine has more than doubled. Driver issues can impact battery life but I have only seen that with respect to sleep, not overheating.  As it stands, drivers are being released pretty regularly at this point so you should check the update site on a regular basis.  For my laptop, drivers were showing up at a rate of two per day last week. 

Since, however, you say you added the drive at the same time, you've made it a 50:50 possibility that it is actually hardware related.   Personally, I would never upgrade to a new OS (ahead of its release date) and swap drives at the same time simply because it does complicate troubleshooting.  As far as HP releasing drivers and bios upgrades, 1) as I indicated above they are being released, and 2) if you choose to upgrade an OS ahead of the release date and ahead of when the manufacturer has promised drivers, that really rests with you, not HP....

Stephen

0 Kudos
troymv505
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I would never upgrade to a new OS using the same hard drive in my opinion, because then you would lose all of your data when doing a clean install. Unless of course you have a way to backup all of your data before wiping the drive. I like the ability to go back to the old drive if the new OS gives me problems. However in this scenario that would be going back to Vista, which had its own set of annoying issues I hope to never go back to.

I wouldn't say I upgraded before the release date as it's been available to college students through the Microsoft Academic portal for awhile now. A big portion of HPs business would be academics I would think? Wouldn't you think they would support the academic world and be prepared for their release schedule? I release it is not availble to the public yet but it will be in just a few days.

0 Kudos
SWY
Level 4
89 87 2 18
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry but I really wish people would do their homework on the subject of a clean install.  A clean install does nothing to your data unless you choose to do a reformat (an option not the default). It is otherwise all moved to Windows.old.  Unless there is a problem one is trying to correct with a reformat, or otherwise need to do a drive repartition, there is absolutely no advantage to doing a reformat during a clean install (hence, the fact it is not the default action).  As far as doing a backup, anyone who doesn't do a backup before either an upgrade or a clean install (even with the existence Windows.old) deserves the grief they may get simply for exhibiting such extreme stupidity and/or laziness.   With respect to your practice, if you replace the drive as part of replacing the OS, you have what you have - a problem that could be a driver or could be hardware.  Even in 2009, no drive should be used for an OS installation until it has at least had some time to burn in. 

Now on the subject of early adoption, the fact is simple.  You chose to upgrade before the general availability date and before the date HP targeted for driver upgrades.  Just because your university made the Microsoft RTM available didn't mean you had to load it on that date. HP had nothing to do with the RTM site license date - that is between Microsoft and those licensees and it is unrealistic to assume HP would be ready on that date.  I am a Technet member and have been using the Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM since early August but have recognized from the start that I would be filling a few driver blanks with Vista drivers for some time.  That window between the August RTM and 10/22 was established specifically so that manufacturers could finalize drivers, etc..  There is no magic wand out there such that RTM in early August means drivers appear in short order.  It was also up to you to check to see if the drivers were available.  Otherwise, you are simply dealing with a reality that early adopters often face - lack of drivers and some level of compatibility issues.  You chose to adopt early so this sits with you - HP did not encourage you to do upgrade ahead of their driver schedule.  BTW, Snow Leopard users are currently struggling with this because Apple did not give enough of a window for its hardware and software partners and (for some things) the drivers are only struggling out a bit at a time.  

Sorry but I'll drop out now since I have no intention of getting into an argument when the issues are so clear.  You are an early adopter (ahead of general release date) who may be facing early adopter issues.  You then complicated it by bringing a new drive into the picture.  There is no fault here - just a reality of early adopter life with the added twist of new hardware tossed into the mix.  As far as drivers go, you need to wait for HP to finalize things (I bet you would be even more unhappy if they rushed out bad ones). One the new drive front, that was obviously your choice....

Stephen

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation