cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
FaNIX
Level 1
8 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Windows 7 RC with IDT Audio Device

HP Recommended

I'm having trouble with my AUDIO DRIVERS in Windows 7 RC. I've tried almost every single version available, but nothing works for good. My thread refers to the problem people are having in this thread (http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Sound&thread.id=609) (STacSV64.exe IDT PC Audio using 50% of cpu)

After installing the latest driver (SP42549) it seemed to resolve my problem, but it returned. The Laptop will get VERY slow, everything will not respond for a few minutes, and the CPU usuage indicates that its the AUDIO. Have someone managed to solve this yet? It's really frustrating... The AUDIO works FINE with the Default Win7 drivers, no problems at all, just when installing the IDT drivers I get this problem.

Please help...

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
bluescrubbie
3 3 0 0
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I'm having a similar problem with 64-bit Windows 7 on a dv7 - IDT Audio Drivers taking 50% of the CPU all the time.
0 Kudos
MattMJB0188
Level 3
40 31 2 2
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Well once Windows 7 is officially released this October hopefully there won't be any driver issues.  HP will make drivers specifically for Windows 7.
0 Kudos
Tsar88
5 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hit the cntrl-alt-del buttons all at the same time and select task manger/ then from the pop up select applications and see if you have anything running you didn't know about. If nothing is there that is eating up time, go to process and select show process from all users. Here you will find collumns that list exactly whats going on. If this does not give you any indications of whats happening, go to performance and click on your resource monitor. I have had similar issues and found that it was a persistence module that kept refresh. (which is redundant in this regard because they are one in the same) Good luck!

Just be careful when your in there you can shut something down that looks unnecessary but becomes vital.

0 Kudos
SWY
Level 4
89 87 2 18
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

FWIW, for the time being you answered your own question with the statement: "The audio works fine with the Default Win7 drivers, no problems at all...."  You are running a RC with IDT's notoriously buggy drivers - some things just won't be what you want and this is likely one of them.  The bad news is that Windows Update offers an updated IDT driver for the RTM and while it didn't  hit the processor the way you describe, it did negatively impact both boot times and overall performance.  You can probably also tell by my use of the past tense that I deleted the IDT driver and went back to the stable, low resource, Microsoft option.   Actually, there are currently two updated drivers for my HP laptop on Windows Update and both resulted in a major performance hit (and both are also now off my machine).  The other was for Intel's display driver and its impact was even worse than the the IDT mess.  I think on this one you really will just have to wait on HP for a better solution....

Stephen

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation