cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
LogicSmith
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Windows 7 Ultimate on tx1119us

HP Recommended

I have owned the tx1119us for over two years, happily using Vista Ultimate (I expanded ram from 1Gb to 2, replaced hard drive with 200Gb 7200rpm). After some tuning two years ago, Ultimate has performed well on this hardware.

Last weekend, I upgraded to the RTM of Windows 7 Ultimate. It mostly went well, but there were a few glitches.

Before it would upgrade, it wanted me to uninstall the fingerprint software (software, not drivers). The upgrade took forever, presumably because I have hundreds of apps out there to migrate. After entering the key and rebooting, Media Player hung while attempting (I assume) to find all my media on my Home Server. I eventually killed it, and everything mostly looked fine.

I'm going to try reinstalling the AuthenTec fingerprint software tonight to see if it will work correctly. At first glance, everything appears to be working but I haven't tried all the hardware and software yet - that's also on tonight's agenda. A few things of note so far...

My disk was defragged before the upgrade, and it must have scattered stuff all over the disk because the defrag after upgrade took over an hour.

Windows Update has an update for the nVidia 6150, but that update fails to install. I tried nvidia.com but their autodetect died while attempting to determine which nVidia chip I have. I downloaded the latest drivers from their web site for Win7, but they complain I need them from HP. HP's site has them for Vista, but they complain about Windows 7. It may not matter, as Device Manager shows the right display adapter, and the Performance Index rose from 2.9 to 3.0 for the Aero component (everything else stayed the same).

Finally, every single optimization I did (turn off indexing, turn of user account control, folder options, etc) seems to have been reset to factory defaults. So now I begin the long sequence of tweaking...

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
LogicSmith
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The fingerprint verification software failed during install, and what remained would not run. It also failed during uninstall but I think it actually did uninstall. Hopefully Verisoft will fix this as its a useful piece of software.

I did test the various hardware ports and they seemed to work OK. And with minimal (so far) optimization, it already feels faster than Vista.

0 Kudos
dibsPC
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I also installed Windows 7 (Professional) today.  No fingerprint scanner as well, but that's not what concerns me the most.  I also have an unknown device and what's listed as "Coprocessor" under unkown devices.  Did you have this?

Fortunately, everything seems to be running very smoothly anyway.  Perhaps they are unneeded components.

It is definitely faster than Vista so far.

0 Kudos
LogicSmith
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I do have one unknown device (listed as ACPI) under Other Devices. I do not have a coprocessor mentioned there. Did you install 7 fresh or upgrade an existing Vista installation?
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation