cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Glavx
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Windows 7 on HP dv2715nr

HP Recommended

Hello all,

I have a HP dv2715nr and I'm really frustrated with windows Vista, specially concerning graphics. It's a little bit more than one year old, and I didnt change the OS coz I read on the internet plenty of problems with this downgrade.But now I read some reviews about the windows 7 and it seems to work perfectly. I'm a newbie, so my question is: how do I make this change? Are the necessary drivers in the HP partition? A tutorial here would be great!! My main doubt is concerning the HP programs and the drivers.thnx in advancecheers

3 REPLIES 3
techgecko
3 3 0 0
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Glavx

I'm dual booting Windows 7 (beta 7077) and Ubuntu 9.04 on my dv2410ca. Win7 is a huge improvement over vista, noticed in both system speed/ responsiveness, and in ease of use. I understand that product keys for the beta are no longer available, but the release candidate is here so the final release should be not too far around the corner. The only apparent issue appears to be a missing coprocessor driver, which does not seem to affect the functionality of the system video. I think it is, as the name implies, a feature to improve overall processing performance- something that's been rumored to be included in 7.

In the meantime do give Ubuntu a try. It can be run from a live CD so you can check it out before you decide to install, and if you do install the process is very well guided, with reliable results.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Glavx
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey, thanks for the information!

I saw that the download of windows 7 is not available anymore from ms website, but it's use to find on the internet. The product key shouldnt be a problem.

I already heard nice things about Ubuntu, also about Fedora, I'll give it a try!

Now I just need to know if I can get the drivers on the HP partition or if it's better to record a CD with all of them, and also would like to know about the HP's features, If I also can recover that from the partition.

techgecko
3 3 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I would recommend you backup your data and drivers for Vista should you need to go back. The thing is 7 has no support site, all drivers supplied are automatically offered after you activate the installation. An invalid product key could mess up your install. If you are comfortable with it, perhaps try using the partion manager when you install 7, it worked managing other Windows O/S for me on my desktop but unfortunately did not find the Linux partitions. Grub (the Linux boot manager) did sort it all out with a little more work. Good luck!
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation