cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
pinusnirus
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

Windows 7 upgrade COSTS ?

HP Recommended

Hi to all.

As mentioned in other thread, I'm asking to myself if is normal that HP requires EUR 24,90 to upgrade my VISTA HOME PREMIUM to W7  (pc is a dv7-1170el). I wrote to Arvato customer support but they answered that amout required regards only shipping cost.

IMHO is too much for a dvd + ship ....

What you think about?

Pinus, Rome-Italy

10 REPLIES 10
DexterM
Level 10
4,502 4,475 304 1,050
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I think the DVD is being shipped from another country, and not Italy, or in Europe. Thus the high shipping charges.
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
niketyne
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I too think that the costs that HP are imposing on the FREE upgrade are excessive,  In UK it is just over £21

Complained to avrato and eventually got comment back that "There are specific Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program guidelines. This is
HP company policy"  Currently going through the HP complaints (If they do actualy have one, not yet confirmed this fact) to ask why they are charging so much.

Incidently the avrato quote that the DVD's are shipped from Germany

So the costs for the FREE software so far ar:

In Europe it is around 25 euro

In UK is is around 21 pounds

So, how much has everybody else been quoted for the great HP rip off to give out Free software ?

Adamtech
Level 8
1,230 1,227 80 219
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Almost all "free" offers you still have to pay for shipping. The manufacture covers the cost of the upgrade software. You are more than welcome to go buy it off the shelf if you like.

*Remember to mark your questions solved and click the "Kudos" star to show your thanks!

glantern954
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP needs to get with the program and realize it is 2009. The software should at least have an iso download option with no cost.

Woody_Dutch
Level 2
18 18 1 2
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Shipping costs contain also the packaging costs (material and workmanship to pack this in).

HP offers this extra service indeed, it is not that you are forced to upgrade to Windows 7. Shop dealers should

inform you about these costs before buying. For the time being I would wait buying a PC until Win7 is released to avoid this upgrade option.

I still think it is great that HP and other big brands offer this service, because for the same price (almost) you can choose between two operating systems in the future if you need to restore (recovery options if you created also Vista recovery dvd).

Ofcourse it is no ISO because the package contains the installation from DVD option which is also mandatory if the system is crashed and you can not download anymore...

Message Edited by Woody_Dutch on 09-14-2009 06:52 AM
CU_Mece
3 3 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Just to add to the list of shipping prices, $12.99 USD to ship to NYC.
lmanlo
Level 2
14 14 1 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Free shipping here in Texas. 2 friends have placed the order, one that I help place. There was no shipping charges. It said $0.00 for shipping. So my friends did not have to pay for shipping. The good thing that I already have mine from MSDNAA.
CU_Mece
3 3 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended
My original order was also free, but then they cancelled it because the date of purchase I entered for my computer did not match my Proof of Purchase so I had to reorder it and this time, they charged me. I think they cancelled my order just to charge me shipping.
Stejan
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

PhD Student - this “You are more than welcome to go buy it off the shelf if you like.“ is just the sort of high handed, arrogant reply which will ensure I never buy a HP product again  

That is apart from the fact that I, and others, think £21 is excessive to cover postage and packaging.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation