cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
calder35
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Windows 7 upgrade

HP Recommended

I have a 14 months old M9290a (Vista Ultimate), which I'm preparing for Windows 7. I'm not in any way eligible for the 'recent purchase' upgrade, so will be buying my own.

There are a number of features of the original software setup that I'd like to retain - eg, Total Care Advisor. These are buried in the Recovery partition, and on my recovery DVDs.

Is there any way or practice that I can follow to have these nice items available to me in a new build on a new HDD?

Calder35

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
CherylG
Level 17
44,714 38,155 3,356 11,465
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
You should also have a folder on your hdd_C:\HP that contains drivers/software installers.You may have to Enable 'Show Hidden Files & Folders' to see that folder.If you find it, burn it to DVD before installing Win 7.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

calder35
Author
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a c:\hp folder, which contains a few drivers. The info seems old - it goes back to Win98 and stops at NT4. All that can be viewed openly.

On the recovery partition, d:\, I need to see hidden folders. But which files do what is not obvious, being hidden behind alphanumeric IDs.

Could you please take me just one step more - the facts of the matter seem to be in conflict.  😞

Calder35

0 Kudos
calder35
Author
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, a bit of experimentation showed me a few things. This was all done on a new Win7 install, with access to a previous Vista drive having a recovery partition.

1. Check that you have a folder c:\hp visible.
2. Go to the recovery partition, find another folder named 'hp' and open it. Find a folder named 'apps' and copy it complete into c:\hp (ie, on the Win7 drive)

3. Go to c:\hp\apps. Here you have a series of folders named APPxxxx, and one named 'dta'. Open dta, and here is a series of files. Click open/edit any one, and you will see something like

[APP]

Description=Hardware Diagnostic Tools

Article_Code=Hardware_Diagnostic_Tools

SourceDir=APPS\APP05194

Installation_Type=RunOnce\Setup

Exe_File=commands.exe

CmdLine=/c c:\hp\bin\launch.bat APPS\APP05194

LocalCopy=Yes

4. So, 05194 is your diagnostic tools. You will also see the CmdLine. This is how you get to install this app - open a command window, and use the appropriate CmdLine (without the /c first 2 characters).

All care and no responsibility here - but it worked fine for me. 

Calder35

0 Kudos
calder35
Author
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

For the record, my machine had/has these:

01608 : HP DVD Player

05194 : Hardware Diagnostic Tools

05576 : CyberLink Power Director

07575 : CyberLink DVD Suite

08597 : Safety and Comfort Guide

08889 : Microsoft Works 9.0

10546 : HP Photosmart Essentials

11703 : On-screen key indicators

11773 : muvee Autoproducer

12174 : Java Run Time (JRE)

14197 : HP Update Service

23254 : Adobe Reader

25553 : HP Easy Backup

29289 : CyberLink Power2Go

29406 : CyberLink Label Print

30241 : Flash Player

30559 : HP My Games

31307 : Norton Security 2008

Calder35

0 Kudos
calder35
Author
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Almost right, but not quite. Some work, some don't.

Anyone shed any more light?

Calder35
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation