cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ydk
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Windows 7?

HP Recommended
Why is it that Microsoft comes out with a new operating system every 3-4 years? I've got XP and I never bothered with Vista. Vista was a waste. Not only was it not any more efficient than XP, but it was slower. I don't care about Windows 7  either. It seems like PC's these days still come with processors no faster than 2.3GHz and RAM some where between 2 to 4 GB. The difference is hard drive capacity that's large enough for storing a whole lof of movies, music, video games, and whatever else you want to store on your hard drive. Will I end up getting a new computer with Windows 7 on it sometime in the near future just to be able to do anything? Will Microsoft stop support for XP the way it has for previous versions of Windows? If so when? In another 3 to 4 years?
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
DexterM
Level 10
4,502 4,478 304 1,048
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Why is it that Microsoft comes out with a new operating system every 3-4 years?

I guess they just want to release better products than what they have now. The success rate is debatable though.

Will I end up getting a new computer with Windows 7 on it sometime in the near future just to be able to do anything?

New computers will probably ship with Windows 7. But it depends on what exactly you want to be able to do.

Will Microsoft stop support for XP the way it has for previous versions of Windows? If so when?

According to THIS Page, it'll end in April 2014.
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
0 Kudos
Kitzira
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you notice, MS makes a good OS, and then a poor quality one..  and then another better one.  Vista was the poor quality one...  Similar if you remember WindowsME.

When vista came out, computers didn't come with dual/quad CPUs, and the ghz is no longer running on the same thought that pentiums I through IV did.  Computers also used to come with only 1gig of memory.  They all barely ran Vista with any quality.

And yes, XP will lose support, though I thought it was sooner than 2014.

0 Kudos
SWY
Level 4
89 87 2 18
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Kitzira wrote:

If you notice, MS makes a good OS, and then a poor quality one..  and then another better one.  Vista was the poor quality one...  Similar if you remember WindowsME.

Actually not really true at all.  Windows XP was an absolute disaster upon release - worse than anything other than Windows ME.   It was unfinished, had huge security flaws, and made BSOD an acronym outside of tech circles.  XP's "popularity" is based upon longevity, and the fact that is is the only OS many people have known.  The level of early complaints about XP easily matched those leveled against Vista.  Quite frankly, if the anti-trust suit hadn't gotten in the way, and XP was replaced on a normal cycle, it would not be remembered fondly.  Since, however, it was around so long, people got accustomed to its flaws (and it still has many).  BTW, Vista has been a stable and solid OS for modern machines since SP 1.  Of course, Windows 7 is a Vista based OS as well....

Stephen

0 Kudos
Kalt
Level 12
4,535 4,501 384 1,083
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Why is it that Microsoft comes out with a new operating system every 3-4 years?

New features are added, along with security updates...Most of these features are important, but un-noticable to most general PC users.

It seems like PC's these days still come with processors no faster than 2.3GHz and RAM some where between 2 to 4 GB.

The clock speeds went up to over 3GHz, then the architecture was improved and the clock speeds reduced, with multiple cores being added...all while being more powerful that previous generation processors...

Will I end up getting a new computer with Windows 7 on it sometime in the near future just to be able to do anything? Will Microsoft stop support for XP the way it has for previous versions of Windows? If so when? In another 3 to 4 years?

Yes, Microsoft will stop supporting Windows XP...it's antiquated technology.  Windows 7 runs excellent, you'll have no problems with the new OS once you actually use it.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation