cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Big_Dave
Level 15
28,006 27,418 1,811 5,053
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Windows 8 build 8400 -----> chkdsk on boot up

HP Recommended

For those of us that are booting up multiple operating systems, there is a gotcha with the Windows 8 "hybrid boot" function.  By default your W8 PC is left in a hibernated state.  Apparently W8 is setting the "dirty bit" to show that the drive is in use. However, if the drive is another bootable system and you boot it up then chkdsk appears and it requires some console commands to get it reset.

RUN window:

fsutil dirty query x:   where X is your boot drive

chkntfs /x c:   X tells windows not to check this drive

reboot

Run window: chkdsk c:/r   ----> reply Y  and let windows do a full chkdsk to  get the reset

reboot

Run window: fsutil dirty query x:   -------> the drive should now indicate not dirty

To avoid the above issue, the hybrid boot option in W8 needs to be disabled.

Control Panel-----> Hardware and Sound ----> Power Options

Select Choose what the power button does

Click on change settings that are currently unavailable

Scroll down to Shutdown settings uncheck "Turn on fast startup"

Save settings.

The above did work for me on build 8400. 

The implementation of "hybrid boot" should be done differently by MS. I did post a suggestion to MS to "delay" volume checking when using fast startup and then give the user the option to ignore thereby not requiring the dirty bit to be set on other volumes and instead use some other bit.

EDITED:  The above procedure has been edited.  You may have to clear the "dirty bit" and do some promted scans but after a few boots to other OSs and back to W8 everything is working OK for me.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z590, i7-11700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
2 REPLIES 2
yashkiran91
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i see windows 8 build 8400 

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Alez_Curquejo
Level 2
13 13 1 2
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks !

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation