cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
paulmc
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Windows live mail

HP Recommended

Managed to open windows live mail account but where is the email inbox for me to verify account and therefore how do i use email at all ??

also, although i checked that my windows firewall is on I cannot install windows live essentials on my windows 7 laptop 

I have been going round in circles with tis problem for days

last question if it is suggested i reinstall windows i have no disk supplied  from HP

any help with the above would very gratefully recieved

Paul Mc 

7 REPLIES 7
RobAld
Level 4
142 139 2 11
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ paulmc

> how do i use email at all ??

You posted in a  W8  forum, so if you have W8 CP you may be able to see a Mail tile on your Start Screen...

Oh.  Try this for clarity.   Press Win- and type Mail.   Then what do you see?   If you have a Hotmail account you can use the Mail tile.   Otherwise you would have to use the  WLMail  tile  (assuming you see that in your search too.)

>  I cannot install windows live essentials

Why?  What are your symptoms?   FWIW I have both installed in both my W7 and W8 partitions.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
GeorgeFN
Level 7
Level 7
879 872 37 104
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is there anything in this that could help you?

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/email_problems_help

Hope so,

GeorgeFN

GeorgeFN
I work on behalf of HP.
paulmc
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi perhaps you could be good enough to talk me through this 

I feel such a fool but as this is my first venture into the internet marketing sphere i need this to work 

my windows live email is{Personal Information Removed} which it appears to recognise it,  just looks  

more professional sounding than {Personal Information Removed} which is my standard email address.

If i start from scratch will that help although it says my domain name is being used  which it is by me!!

please can you help or put me onto someone who may be able to help

ps i am typing this on my older vista laptop i thought i may have better luck 

but no

thanks 

Paul

RobAld
Level 4
142 139 2 11
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ Paul

In addition to the above link be aware of the Answers Forums for Hotmail...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive

That is what used to be the   windowslivehelp  portal where I believe Live Domain issues, which could be what you are now alluding to, were handled.

Also, you have not clarified how you are trying to do this.   Obviously not on W8 Mail Metro app any more but even on Vista you would have the choice of using a browser (e.g. IE7, IE8, IE9 or anything else), WinMail.exe (its native E-mail client, connecting to a POP3 server), WLMail.exe (typically connecting as a Hotmail client via DeltaSync protocol), Outlook.exe (with the Hotmail connector for the same kind of connection with that more functional E-mail client.)

FYI

Robert
---

paulmc
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi I,m afraid I didid not understand anything of what you said i am not a techi person 

below is a copy of the error message windows live mail sent to me i hope that it helps you tp help me fix it 

in plain english speak 

thanks again

paul

The host 'mail@paul-mchugh.com' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly.

Subject 'lost mail'
Server: 'mail@paul-mchugh.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0D
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 25
Secure(SSL): No
Socket Error: 11003

The host 'mail@paul-mchugh.com' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly.

Subject 'live mail'
Server: 'mail@paul-mchugh.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0D
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 25
Secure(SSL): No
Socket Error: 11003

RobAld
Level 4
142 139 2 11
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> i am not a techi person

> The host 'mail@paul-mchugh.com' could not be found

I think what you are trying to accomplish is quite technical.   E.g. I think you need to register that domain you want:

https://domains.live.com/Signup/SelectRegIstrar.aspx

Then if necessary perhaps you could create a host name called:   mail.paul-mchugh.com  

Note the difference in syntax.    The syntax you are using would normally be used with an  E-mail address  for sending a message to a userid called mail to the default mail server on that domain.

FWIW  my  nslookup  shows no sign  of  either  host name or domain name.   

And I suspect that is what that code will mean...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942495

(Microsoft search for
    0x800CCC0D site:support.microsoft.com
)

<quote>

0x800CCC0D IXP_E_CANT_FIND_HOST Cannot locate server

</quote>

E.g. the E-mail client (any one) would have done a DNS lookup for that name and found that it was unknown.

BTW this is really getting off-topic for a  W8  forum.   ;  )

Good luck

Robert
---

RobAld
Level 4
142 139 2 11
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> FWIW my nslookup shows no sign of either host name or domain name.

And now it is finding both?   Wow.   Good work.    (Or perhaps I made a typo before.  <w>)

So, I would guess that the only thing you did wrong was use that  at-sign (@)  instead of a period (.) for the separator between your host name and domain name.

Good luck

Robert
---

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation