cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
eriq
Level 2
17 9 0 2
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post

Wireless network connection drops off every 15 minutes or so. dv7-1450 running Win7 64 RTM

HP Recommended

So I have another issue with this notebook (dv7-1450) and Windows 7 64. Every 10-15 minutes the wireless network just disconnects and displays as "No Internet Access" in the Network & Sharing center. This is obviously a driver issue. I can resolve by disabling and re-enabling the device, but I can't do this every 10 minutes.

After installing Windows 7, Windows installed the "Atheros AR5009 a/g/n Wireless LAN drivers" automatically, but this driver obviously doesn't work well. I searched for a Vista 64 driver on HP's website, and all I could find is a Broadcom Wireless LAN driver, but I don't think this is the right driver either. When I try to install it, I get a warning that the driver is not compatible, then when I continue to install the installations results in an error saying "The device cannot start".

So what gives? How can I get this wireless network card working on this notebook? I can't even find any working drivers. Physical network cable works but will NOT be available to use in working environment. Help.

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
eriq
Author
Level 2
17 9 0 2
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update (no resolution): After searching Google & HPs other forums, it appears that hundreds of other people are having the same issue with the AR5009 series adapters and 64 bit versions of Windows (Vista or 7). My question is, why would HP sell a computer with a 64 bit processor and 64 bit OS that doesn't fully support 64 bit drivers?

Anyway, ufortunately no one seems to have a clear answer/resolution to this issue. Not sure what to do other than take back...

0 Kudos
eriq
Author
Level 2
17 9 0 2
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

UPDATE (POSSIBLE RESOLUTION): After spending a few hours troubleshooting the network, it appears that the wireless Atheros AR5009 wireless a/b/g/n card built in the notebook doesn't play well with my Linksys WRT300N router when configured in "Mixed [B/G/N] Mode". I changed the mode on the router to "Mixed B/G [Only]" and have maintained a solid wireless connection for over an hour now. Before it wouldn't hold a connection for more than 10 minutes, and was disconnecting from the wireless network every 2, 5 or 10 minutes.

Still holding my breath, but leaning towards that as the cause. I'll post update tomorrow...

0 Kudos
Daniel_Potyrala
Level 13
10,920 10,838 772 4,463
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Uninstall Your current driver ad try v8.0.0.171 driver which You can download here.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
0 Kudos
eriq
Author
Level 2
17 9 0 2
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thank you. I'll try this if I start having problems again. So far since my last update (changing the settings to B/G only mode on my Linksys WRT300N), it's been working ok. I'm not even sure if I was getting true Wireless N speed to begin with.
0 Kudos
samschilling
Level 6
524 517 11 54
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here's something you might check on.

Since you're using wireless, it might be a wireless security issue.  I see this all the time with 64 bit operating systems.

Check your security type, if you are using WEP, that's your problem.  64 bit operating system do not work well with WEP.

Change to WPA and you'll be fine.

0 Kudos
eriq
Author
Level 2
17 9 0 2
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thank you. But I actually haven't used WEP in a long time. WPA Personal is the current method.
0 Kudos
samschilling
Level 6
524 517 11 54
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended
You should write a macro to re-install the driver every 9 minutes.
0 Kudos
mallinj
4 4 0 0
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Daniel,

How is that driver installed in Win 7 Ultimate 64? I downloaded a utility to sign the driver but when I try to install it, I'm told my present driver is the most current.  I'm befuddled.

0 Kudos
Daniel_Potyrala
Level 13
10,920 10,838 772 4,463
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@mallinj

Hi,
Disconnect from Internet.
Uninstall from Your system audio drivers.

Resources:
Uninstalling Software in Windows 7
Uninstall or change a program in Windows 7

Restart Your system:
On boot press ' F8 ' and choose ' Safe mode '.

Go to Control Panel -> Devices Manager -> Network Cards

and find there Athero Wireless card. Click on it with right button of Your mouse and choose uninstall driver.
Restart Your system and this time start it in normally.

Install latest driver:

Atheros Wireless here (ver 8.0.0.238   for 32/64 bit Win7)

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation