cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
volvogirl
Level 2
8 4 1 1
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Wrong Win7 version

HP Recommended

Hi,

Just bought 7/26/09 an HP Pavilion dv6 1230us at Staples.  Been trying to sign up for the Windows 7 update to come out in Oct.  It doesn't let me pick the operating system, it just assigns me Win 7 Ultimate for Vista Ultimate.  But I have Vista Home Premium 64 bit.  How do I get the right version?  I put in the product # and serial number.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

volvogirl

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
4xp64
Level 3
23 22 3 13
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You will get the version that is factory installed on your PC

so if you have 64 bit, you wil get Windows 7 64 bit.  If it is 32 bit, you will get Windows 7 32 bit.

I have the windows 7 software in both versions (32bit and 64bit) and have tested it.

It is not much of an improvement over Vista-- but it does address A LOT of the driver issues that have plagued Vista.

and it does run a little faster on loading programs.

0 Kudos
volvogirl
Author
Level 2
8 4 1 1
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm not asking about the 64 vs 32 bit.  After I answer the questions and it gets to the shopping cart it says

Existing OS: Windows Vista Ultimate

Windows 7 Upgrade Kit:  Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)

BUT I have Vista Home Premium NOT Ultimate!  It never let me tell it the operating system.  So I haven't ordered it.

0 Kudos
CherylG
Level 17
44,714 38,155 3,356 11,465
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
If you get Win 7 Ultimate upgrade, consider it a bonus.:)

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

Huffer
Level 17
Level 17
44,689 44,466 7,168 12,712
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Yes Ultimate has every feature of Home Premium and then more on top of that.
0 Kudos
drawbird
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had the exact same problem, (64 bit Vista Home Premium on Staples-bought dv6-1230us, 7-22-09) but I didn't notice the problem until AFTER I placed the Win 7upgrade order -- glad to see I'm not crazy -- i read the replies but hope that Ultimate (Win 7) will be able to shake hands with lowly Premium (Vista) and install/upgrade on top of it when the time comes, I have my doubts.

I let the Auto-detect tool "read" my laptop but I guess this Avarto tool is not working correctly....

0 Kudos
MarkLV
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I am having trouble with the Avarto tool not working correctly! I have an HP G70 laptop with Windows Home Vista Premium 64 bit. When I use the Windows 7 Upgrade tool it assigns Windows 7 Home Premium (32 bit) so I have not placed the upgrade order. Is there some way to make sure I get the correct Windows 7 version?
0 Kudos
danielv
Level 2
16 14 0 1
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My Staples-bought (Aug 2009) dv6-1230us also ordered Win7 Ultimate using the automatic ordering tool from HP's vendor. I sure hope this will all sort itself out and allow me to install what I get or they fix it on their side and ship the correct version.  HP should have all the information based on the serial number.

0 Kudos
volvogirl
Author
Level 2
8 4 1 1
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
FOLLOWUP....I'm the original poster.  Waited and finally tried it again 9/26/09 and it came up with the right version. Home Premium so I ordered it.  Probably just took a while for the database to be populated with the right os.  I probably should have taken the Ultimate when I was first offered it!
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation