cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
JBruce9
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

XP Mode ??

HP Recommended

Trying to decide whether to press on with my old machine or get a new one.  Wife's new laptop has Vista and I am not happy with it.

Noticed on Windows website that Windows7 Professional offers "XP mode" with the statement that additional software will be necessary and provided.

My question is... will "XP mode" allow the bulk of my favorite programs that run on XP (but not on Vista) to run or will it require separate "additional software" for each individual program?

Also, will the "folder tasks" panel re-appear in 7?   I miss "move to" and "copy to"... etc. 

Thanks,

JB

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Adamtech
Level 8
1,230 1,227 80 219
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
They would run within Windows 7 in a "Windows XP environment". This environment is separate but within Windows 7.

*Remember to mark your questions solved and click the "Kudos" star to show your thanks!

JBruce9
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for that information.  Makes me feel better about things.

I guess I can live without the "file and folder task" panel...   Drag and drop is a pain and haven't figured out a way of moving/copying files that is as slick as in XP.

JB

0 Kudos
SWY
Level 4
89 87 2 18
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

A bit of clarification since the other response is not really a complete answer. XP Mode involves running a (mostly) seamless version of XP Professional through Windows Virtual PC  in WIndows 7 Professional and higher.  What you do is download the add-on and a licensed copy of XP Pro that will only run in Windows Virtual PC.  The non-seamless part is that things like some Aero effects do not work. 

XP Mode, however, does not run on all machines, has very specific hardware requirements and can result in a pretty heavy hit on system performance on some setups. The essential requirement is bios enabled hardware virtualization support (i.e.., Intel VT or AMD-V enabled processors/motherboards).   For reference, many HP machines cannot run XP Mode because the processors do not support hardware virtualization. Other machines may have processors that support it but then do not offer a bios option to turn it on.  If your processor does not support hardware virtualization (or you don't have a bios switch to turn it on), XP mode will not work and there are no work arounds -  it is an all or nothing proposition.  I would strongly recommend doing your homework on your existing or possible new machine before making a decision if XP Mode is part of the equation.  You could otherwise end up being seriously disappointed. 

On my end, my HP laptop (with a recent mid-level Core2Duo processor) cannot run XP mode since hardware virtualization was stripped out of a bunch of Intel processors as a cost savings.  Although most XP apps actually work in Vista and Windows 7 if you just change compatibility mode for the app to XP SP2 or SP3, two custom apps don't so I run a virtual copy of XP in Windows 7 through Sun's Virtualbox. 

Stephen

Message Edited by SWY on 08-22-2009 09:31 AM
JBruce9
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks SWY... except now I am confused again.  Obviously I am not a technical person.  My intent is to buy a new machine after 7 comes out.  I just hope that there will be a way for me to discern if a particular machine meets the requirements.

Your help is much appreciated........

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation