cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
praveend
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

desktop RAM upgrade questions

HP Recommended

Hi, I have hp elite m9000t series desktop with 2 GB(1 x 1GB) ram and as per the specs and research in hp website it can support to 8gb. RAM is of DDR2-SDRAM (pc2-5300 / 667 MHZ) type. I have 2 more slots open, so guess that can add 4gb(2 x 2gb) of ram. Question is 1) do i need to buy the sam ddr2 667 mhz ram or can i go to higher speed models? 2) is it compatible to have 2 slots with 1 gb  each and another 2 slots with 2gb ram each? 3)what is the recomended RAM for window7 better peformance? i am planning to install VMware to do other OS like linux, etc.. given that i may need more RAM. Please suggest me on the memory upgrade..I am seriously looking towards windows7 release date, i am very much disappointed with vista, cant wait for windows 7.

btw, i am planning to upgrade to 64bit windows 7 professional, currently i am running with home premium 32bit.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
DexterM
Level 10
4,502 4,478 304 1,048
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended
It's best to install RAM which is just like the one you have right now, i.e. pc2-5300 / 667 MHZ. In fact, I would recommend using RAM from the same manufacturer as the one that is currently installed. Each slot should have the same amount of RAM. So I suggest you use 1+1 or 2+2 rather than 1+2. Since you'll be using VMWare(hope your processor supports Virtualization), I suggest you go for 2+2.
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation