cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Kitzira
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

dv6-1260se - Artist's Edition

HP Recommended

I recently bought the dv6-1260se, artist's edition.  It has preinstalled several programs such as Corel's paint shop, painter and a few others.  It also uses Stardock's MyColors.

I want to put Windows7 on it as soon as possible.  Vista has been nothing but a pain with all the other pre-installed programs.  I've had it for only 4 days and it already freezes when I alt-tab World of Warcraft or even the new Aion.  I get a green alt-tab box and the bottom start/task menu.  I end up having to hard-reset it.  Vista is updated save for Service Pack 2 and the ATI video drivers are updated from ATI's site.

I've been digging around and discovered that a few programs such as HPs MediaSmart programs (dvd, mvp, slingplayer, smartmenu, tv, webcam, wireless assit, ect), the cyberlink dvd program, lightscribe program, ms works, sling player, stardock's mycolors, and norton is in there as option programs to reinstall from the Recovery Manager.  So I assume these programs would be on the recovery disks if I burned them.

However none of Corel's programs are in the recovery manager.  And I know Stardock's MyColors isn't Win7 ready yet.

Has anyone delt with installing Windows 7 onto this laptop version?  I have Win7 RC on all the other computers in the house, I even had it on the old 3 year old Compaq V6210 laptop before the board gave up the ghost for good.  Do I hafta contact HP directly for serials for Corel's suite of pre-installed programs if I lose them in a restore?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
christinem_ca
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i had the same problem, i did the windows 7 upgrade and my dv6-1260se is working horrible.  Lost all the Corel programs, lost alot of my other programs (like you, I thought they would be in the restore window)...I had to order the recovery disks from hp, which they sent out for free, so my only option is to restore back to factory settings, which is an awful solution.

I bought the laptop aug 4, 2009, it was working very well until the windows 7 upgrade.  I havent done the restore yet, and more problems are occurring.  I activated the windows7 with microsoft, now I am getting an error that my copy of windows is invalid. 

Yesterday, the laptop just stopped even though it was plugged into the power supply.  I noticed the white light was not on the power cord, and the black unit in the middle of the power adaptor was beeping.  Now I have a totally unfunctioning laptop. 

One idea I had for loosing the Corel programs was to print screen all of the Corel programs about screen which shows the software keys.  I also downloaded a backup program and was planning on doing a full backup before the upgrade.

I did not backup before windows7 upgrade because everything I read, was that if it didnt work right, I could restore to just before the upgrade.  I also didnt want to loose the corel programs and other photography programs, so I chose the windows7 upgrade. 

YOU CANT restore the computer to just before the upgrade.  I couldnt even restore the program to factory settings even though drive D holds all the factory setting programs.

The problems I am having after the windows7 upgrade are ridiculous.  The battery life went from almost 6 hrs, to less than 2, the laptop seemed hotter after the upgrade, and now the power cord is not working, so I am a photographer with photos to deliver and a non functioning laptop.

I am calling support and will keep you posted.  If you do the windows7 upgrade, backup backup backup.  I heard that the windows7 clean install is the recommended choice, but like you I didnt want to loose these programs.

HP support has not been that great, as they said they would send me software keys for all the preloaded software, that never happened.  I did get the recovery disks (free) but it took about 10 days to get it.  I have not tested the recovery disk, so not sure if it even has all of our preloaded software. 

All the preloaded software was the reason I purchased this laptop, besides the upgraded configuration.  Be careful with the windows7. I believe the upgrade process that hp provides does not work.

0 Kudos
JessicaD42
Level 3
50 50 1 3
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Christinem_ca,

Prior to migrating to Windows 7did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor? 
To determine if your current computer configuration will be compatible with Windows 7 please go to the following link: http://tinyurl.com/no4xb7

Another resource to verify compatibility is available at the Microsoft Windows 7 Compatibility Center located at the following link: http://bit.ly/1gW6Ns

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation