cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Wessley
Level 1
12 10 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Solved!

dv6871us compatibility with Windows 7RC

HP Recommended

I'm considering loading Windows 7 RC2 onto my dv6871us Entertainment laptop.  I'm concerned about driver support, particularly the GeForce 8400M GS video drivers.  I'm not so concerned about the integrated webcam if it doesn't work.  Will the Vista drivers work?  Should I do an upgrade from Vista, or do a clean install after a format?  I am currently running Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit.  I have already created my recovery media and tested them, already had to reload Vista a few times.  Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Adamtech
Level 8
1,230 1,227 80 219
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is a link to the Nvidia site for drivers for this card and OS.

For 32 bit, click here.

For 64 bit, click here.

*Remember to mark your questions solved and click the "Kudos" star to show your thanks!

Wessley
Author
Level 1
12 10 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Great thanks!  I know previously, NVIDIA did not have beta drivers for any mobile chipset.  Did they do this specifically for Windows 7 or is this something new?  Also, do you know of any problems with any of the other hardware in my laptop?
0 Kudos
Adamtech
Level 8
1,230 1,227 80 219
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
The other hard ware I am not sure on without doing the upgrade, these drivers are new (atleast the last couple of months).

*Remember to mark your questions solved and click the "Kudos" star to show your thanks!

0 Kudos
Wessley
Author
Level 1
12 10 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I would think the Realtek HD Audio, Realtek FastEthernet adapter, and Intel Pro Wireless would work with either native drivers or Vista drivers right?  Also, should I do an upgrade from vista or a fresh install from a formatted hard drive?
0 Kudos
Adamtech
Level 8
1,230 1,227 80 219
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Windows 7 includes numerous drivers for those hardware pieces. If you upgrade there is less of a chance for hardware issues and you can keep any programs that are not Windows 7 incompatible.

0 Kudos
Wessley
Author
Level 1
12 10 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
but I will definitely need to download those drivers from NVIDIA's website for my video chipset?
0 Kudos
Adamtech
Level 8
1,230 1,227 80 219
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
That would be my suggestion to get the best performance on Windows 7 from your graphics card.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation