cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
grze
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

hp m8400f Windows 7 upgrade - 32 or 64 bit?

HP Recommended

Hi,

I bought this desktop over a year ago at bestbuy, it's processor is AMD 9500 quad core 2.2 phenom.

I currently have Vista 32bit Home Premium which i personally hate and now i have an option to buy Windows 7. My question is - can I use 64 bit version of WIn 7 with this computer?

Thanks,

Message Edited by grze on 09-21-2009 09:19 PM
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
ArnoldT
Level 1
4 3 1 1
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The answer is not as simple as it may seem.  Your system DOES support the Windows 7 64bit version.  However, because you are currently on a 32 bit system, Microsoft states that you will have to do a "Custom Install".  Basically that translates to having to install a clean version of Windows 7.  You will not have the option of upgrading your current system and keeping all the apps in place.  All your apps would have to be reinstalled.

Here's a snapshot of the clearest upgrade chart that I could find:  http://mossblog.allthingsd.com/files/2009/08/windows-upgrade-chart.png

grze
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

oh, that's cool. I even want to have a fresh install on it. It has two HDDs so i guess i can copy all the files i need to the second drive and just erease and perform a clean install on the main hdd...I was just curious if my whole system supports 64 bit (i know that the processor does)

i can't take vista anymore...and $25 seems to be a good price for 64 bit Win 7...if it's really better than vista

Message Edited by grze on 09-21-2009 11:49 PM
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation