cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
skkamil
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

i have a new hp ultrabook and i cannot upgrade to windows 8

HP Recommended

I have HP Ultrabook ENVY 4. when I boot from Windows 8 DVD to install the new OS it could not find an hard drive to install.

How can I install Windows 8?

5 REPLIES 5
Nate_M
Level 3
Level 3
32 29 0 7
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Be sure that when you boot from the disk you select Custom installation. From this screen it should show all the available partitions where you can install Windows 8. There are also advanced options for deleting existing partitions and perhaps this is one of the issues that you are running into. Please note that if you choose to delete existing partitions you will lose access to any of the data stored there so walk lightly. 😃

Let me know if this helps at all. If not, could you let me know how far you have been able to advance in the install process?

I am an HP employee.
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
skkamil
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When I boot from windows 8 installation DVD I cannot see any partition at all nor hard drive. The only one that I can see is the DVD 

Nate_M
Level 3
Level 3
32 29 0 7
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok, can you confirm that you were selecting the custom installation option from the dialogue menu that is displayed when you are going through the setup process?

I am an HP employee.
freakedenough
2 1 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

http://www.itler.net/2012/08/hp-envy-6-1000sg-windows-8-installieren/

translate this site to english (its in german)

same works for envy 4. you need to copy intels raid storage drivers (Download: Intel SATA AHCI Controller) to an usb stick to find the drives.

Anugrah_Atreya
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i was able to see the harddisk drives after installing the driver.

But now when i choose any drive; i am getting below given error message:

Windows cannot be installed to an MBR partition. ON EFI Systems is should be GPT.

I also fixed this with the help of HP Support:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03445889

Now, when MBR error is gone, and when i select the drive and click next ; i am getting this error:

"We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one"

I read is some forums that disabling S.M.A.R.t can solve this but i am not sure how to proceed ?

Please help !

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation