cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
joyce4000
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

should I turn off my computer when I go om vacation?

HP Recommended

should I turn off my desktop when I go on vacation, in the event ther is a thunderstorm?

3 REPLIES 3
Daniel_Potyrala
Level 13
10,920 10,832 772 4,465
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes you should.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Nate_M
Level 3
Level 3
32 29 0 7
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As a general rule of thumb it is best to always turn your computer completely off (full shutdown) if you will be away from it for a long period of time. Personally, I shut my systems down each night.

As far as a thunderstorm is concerned, the best way to protect your computer is via a surge protector since a power surge can still damage your computer even if it is turned off.

I am an HP employee.
Gandalf2890
Level 1
11 10 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, turn it off.  I also agree that computers should be turned off when you are "done" for the day.  I have aquantainces that do not ever turn them off.  Their computers never seem to last a long.  My last computer at the office lasted over six years and was fine until space on the HD and memory became an issue.  My last Home Computer was almost a teenager before it was replaced.  If fact I just recently gave away my old Packard-Bell computer (Windows 95) and it still worked!  I do still have my Heath-Zenith (Cost $ 3000.00 new! With Zenith-DOS.)  -Have a good vacation! 

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation