Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Stream 8
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

So I've owned a stream 8 tablet since they came out, love it, been on windows 10. Was curious if it would handle the new fall creators update that rolled out yesterday, so I bit the bullet. Windows update showed no new updates, so I downloaded the update assistant online and let her rip. I'm making this post from it 😁

And it works! Clean device manager,  and no issues so far.

Capture.JPG

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I'm very glad that the update worked for you but the same update certainly didnt work for me on my Stream 8 (model 5901). I received a message that the update couldn't work with the system reserve partition - only problem is the reserve partition is the same one that was put there by the original Creators Update so it seems clear to me theres an issue with the update and at least some Stream Tablets. This happens for me both with an upgrade attempt using just the devices C drive ie Windows Update or by starting the update from a USB Memory Stick loaded by using the media creation tool.

HP Recommended

Sorry to hear that!  I see my original recovery partition from 8.1 is history, and I received no errors about my reserve partitions. Funny you saw it in Windows update but I didn't?

HP Recommended

Hey Kiwi, I didnt get a notice either, so I grabbed the updater and ran it just to see if I had your issue.

Stream 8 updated just fine and seems to be running OK as brimedia indicated.

HP Recommended

Hi Photoray002,

Thanks for chipping in. I'm still stuck however without my wireless keyboard and mouse to hand so I cant perform a fresh update and an update from within windows keeps failing 😞

My Stream 8 is model 5901 BTW.

HP Recommended

Only thing I can offer is to try doing a clean install and wipe the drive during a custom install. That is, unless you have old apps that arent available anymore.

I have one app that isnt available anymore, but its still working even with the upgrade.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the tip Photoray002. As I dont have my wireless keyboard and mouse to hand at the moment, I'll need to hold off currently as these would be needed for a 'clean' install as the tablets onscreen keyboard wont work with the Win 10 1709 installation media. That said, I did find a lead from a Microsoft Community forum with a (very) long and involved workaround which one person claimed got around the 'system reserved partition' problem. I may try that once I have the keyboard/mouse so if it all goes belly up, I'm then in a position to get my tablet working again.

HP Recommended

Further to my last post here, I downloaded and installed a free partition modifying package, deleted the 16 MB 'Microsoft' partition (which was unused) then extended the EFI partition to take up that space and tried again.

It didn't work running the update from on the tablets own C:\ drive and I got a different error message this time. Not easily put off, I tried running the installation setup file from the USB installation memory stick within Windows and this time it eventually worked and my tablet is now fully updated 😊

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.