Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Have a Pavilion X2 (32GB version) with Win 8.1 Bing.

Need to get into domain, therefore wanted to fresh install Win 8.1 Pro, at the same time remove the recovery partition for more space.

F10 to bios to set bootup to USB drive, pops in a Win 8.1 Pro x64 installation disc, but X2 refuses to boot to disc.

Is it the x64 version disc problem or have i missed some setting to make the X2 boot to disc properly??

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @almondking 

Welcome to the HP Forums!Smiley Happy

It is an excellent   place to find answers and solutions!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide Learn How to Post and More

Here is a link to Configuring the Boot Order in the System BIOS.

To boot to a USB drive you will need to disable legacy first.

I hope this helped!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

hi,

i actually do not quiet get you when you said i have to turn off legacy boot in order to boot from usb/CD.

my understanding would be to turn off secure boot and ENABLE legacy boot, choose usb cd / disk.

anyway, this is a screen shot of the insydeH2O bios boot option.

i only have UEFI boot, even with secure boot DISABLED.

and with UEFI, i am unable to boot to usb cd drive, which you see i had already set it to the first pirioity.

when i press F9 when power up, there is only 2 boot options:

1. OS boot manager

2. WEFI boot

i am very sure something is wrong with the bios that does not allow me to go legacy boot. (F.07 is the current version)

P_20150113_105044.jpg

HP Recommended

HI @almondking 

Thank you for your reply.

As you do not see legacy support in the bios I believe you are correct and something is not correct. I suggest you go to the bios screen and if you look along the bottom you should see an option to restore defaults (F9) I believe.  Restoring the BIOS

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Restoring the bios does not help and even rolling back the bios to F.06 does not shows Legacy in the menu.

Are there any users having the same issue? or is there a newer bios than F.07 that have the Legacy boot in option?

HP Recommended

Hi @almondking 

Thank you for your reply.

As restoring the bios has not helped, I suggest contacting HP support for further assistance.

Please call our technical support at 800 474 6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get a support number for your region.

World Wide Phone Support

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Is there any uopdate on this? I am trying to install clean version of windows 8.1 (64 bit) since the device came with 64 bit CUP and 32 bit windows...

@Sparkles1 can you give any usefull information here? So far you just talked about things that have northing to do with the issue here...

HP Recommended

HI @Nikola84 ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!Smiley Happy

It is a terrific place to find answers.
For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide Learn How to Post and More

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

I understand that you are trying to install a clean version of Windows 8.1 ( 64 bit).

What edition  of of Windows 8.1 (64 bit ) are you trying to install?

Please provide your exact model of Pavilion 10 x 2.

Regards

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I battled the very same problem, here's what I found out:

Due to the fact that there's no Legacy Support and only the UEFI one, when preparing the bootable usb for the / with the Windows Installation you have to make it GPT partition style. After I did it, I am able to install the system as expected.

Here's explanation from MS:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-setup-installing-using...

and here's the instruction on how to do it - Rufus application is the way in this article, not the Media Creation tool:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-usb-bootable-media-uefi-support

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.