Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 13 (1,073 Views)

HP Elite x2 1012 - Issues copying to SD card and USB devices

[ Edited ]
Product Name: HP Elite x2 1012 G1
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I seem to be having issues trasnfering to SD card and USB devices with my x2. IS anyone else having these issues?

Whenever I try to copy something from the x2 across to the SD Card it copies for about 5 seconds and then drops to a transfer rate of 0MB/s and eventually times out saying original location cannot be found. This also happens if I try moving files on the SD card into a sub folder on the SD card.

I have tried rebooting

Different Micro SD cards.

I have also tried reverting the tablet to a system Image taken when I first got the tablet.

I have also tried updating drivers

Reseting Tablet back to defaults with fresh build of windows

Could anyone offer some advice on this?

0 Kudos
Top Student
Message 2 of 13 (924 Views)

Re: HP Elite x2 1012 - Issues copying to SD card and USB devices

I have the exact same issue.

Under warranty, I sent it back to HP customer support. They replaced the system board, micro SD port, updated BIOS, reinstalled the OS, and tested it, and sadly, the results are the same...
Top Student
Message 3 of 13 (923 Views)

The same, as in, it didn't fix the issue.
Highlighted
Intern
Message 4 of 13 (883 Views)

Hi, yes I had that issue I thoght it was a dud SD so used a USB for extended storage. I ahve just bought a new sandisk SD and the elite does not even see teh SD port. several restarts later it found the port but not the card, now it has lost both again. so i should not have thrown away my last card and should have returned to the shop right away. No wonder HP were offering £250 cash back - which I have not yet recieved...

Intern
Message 5 of 13 (823 Views)

ME too, exact same problem. on the HP collect and return service they took it away, reformatted it removing about a days worth of software install and set up, and didnt even attempt to address the problem. I have put in a complaint to HP customer support requesting a replacement since they ahve not attemtped to repair the reported fault.

I also had HP password manage rpop up every time i opened a browser which I could not remove along with a corporate security suite.

Also whenever I put keyboard behing screen the thing goes to black screen death, and, as I used a USB for storage I bought a bluetooth mouse which it recognised briefly then lost after a system update.

surely the asus canot be as bad for the same money?

I have had HP  professional machines for 15 years but I suspect this will be the last...

Shabby

Top Student
Message 6 of 13 (638 Views)

I have noticed bad behaviors with large files to micro sd as well: got a known-good card, inserted it into the microsd slot, and ran h2testw against it - latter creates 1GB files on the storage and then reads them back. The test never completed: every time, right around at the 6-7GB mark, the write would fail with semaphore timeout exceeded (code 121).

Top Student
Message 7 of 13 (564 Views)

[ Edited ]

@gavin.

Were you able to get a replacement? They gave me a flashdrive to reformat and reinstall Windows as well. I'm going to take a chance and see if it fixes the issue.

I will also probably request a replacement if this doesn't fix the issue.

Top Student
Message 8 of 13 (556 Views)

I didn't try, unfortunately. I did see it behave correctly with a 32gb slow Patriot card so I am using that for now. I hope you have good luck with the replacement - reading on other forums, it seems that sending back for repairs is not valuable.
Top Student
Message 9 of 13 (552 Views)

Correction: I meant sending back for repairs for the sd issue. Also wanted to add the following: I got an Anker USB 3 card reader and tried all cards in question on this machine with the same test and they all passed so it definitely confirms for me that the x2 card slot is rubbish. The Anker reader in question is small enough that I am considering leaving it attached to the machine all the time to serve as a card reader.
Intern
Message 10 of 13 (542 Views)

HI, THey wanted me to send the machine back again for them to reformat and I refuesed without a consequences promise. e.g. what will they do if they cannot fix it as it takes a day to back up and about 3 evenings to re install and update everything.

so I am stcuk with a nice laptop thats a bit slow and has no internal sd drive.

I have an external hdmi adaptor with Sd reader adn extra USb slots thtt runs on the usb3 port.
I had to get a bluetooth mouse (not great) as the only usb slot has a microdrive living in it as backup/extra memory

next  tablet will be apple

clearly HP are making a big loss and making promises they cannot deliver

good luck, thanks for yoru comments.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation