Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy x2 Detachable 12-e0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've got one of the new ARM tablets from HP. I'm having trouble using the supplied pen from HP.

Any time the tablet is on a surface of some sort that covers a significant portion of the tablets back - a wooden desk, my leg, etc., the pen starts skipping and having trouble picking up when I first put the pen down onto the screen. And by "having trouble" I mean it is almost impossible to use.

Shifting how I'm sitting or lifting the tablet up off the surface helps fix this. If I hold the tablet so that it isn't touching anything large, then the pen works perfectly.

I could swear at one point I saw this problem with an old Surface computer of mine - but it was only for a certain type of surface (like a metal table). This seems to be quite universal.

Does anyone have any clues? Many thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@GordonWestCoast,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are having issues with the pen not working correctly. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you tried to use a different stylus and check if that works?

When was the last time it worked?

After reviewing your post regarding the Active pen, I would suggest you download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Once you install HP Support Assistant, I would suggest here is to run a test on the touchscreen.

If the issue persists, uninstall the keyboard drivers from device manager and restart the computer.

• Please right-click on start>select device manager>Expand Keyboards>Right-click on the listed drivers and uninstall them. Then restart the computer and check again if the issue is fixed.
  • If it continues, please replace the stylus battery and check again if it gets resolved.
  • If it persists, please try to perform the prescribed troubleshooting steps from this link: HP PCs - Touch Screen Stylus Pen Is Inaccurate or Stops Working

I hope this should do the trick. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response!

• I am running Windows S, so was not able to install the HP assistant, unfortunately.
  • I tried the pen that came with the Envy x2 and I tried two pens that are designed for the Microsoft Surface (the two devices use the same pen technology, apparently). Both pens have the same behavior.
  • I don't have AAAA batteries with me on my current trip. I'll have access to them in about a week and will try replacing the battery that came with the HP.

The link to suggestions on how to use the pen to prevent mi-recognition, etc., was very useful. I'm working on some of them to see if they change my problem. I'll post back after I've tried a few. If they don't work, I'll do a keyboard driver reset as recommended.

I'll update here in a few days. Again, thanks for the fast response.

HP Recommended

@GordonWestCoast,

Thank you for replying,
Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,
It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.
And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment. 

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Ok, the problem still exists.

• Tried replacing with a new battery
  • Tried several different pens that normally work
  • Tried uninstalling the keyboard drivers (and reinstalling)
  • Tried changing the angle I use the pen at
  • Tried changing the distance between my pen and fingers that are touching the screen

None of these altered the problem. A little more about the problem now that I've spent a solid week traveling

• It the back of the machine is against a surface the pen is much more likely not to work
  • When the tablet is flat on my wooden desktop, it is almost unusable
  • If the back is raised about 1 cm or so, then the pen operates as I would expect it
  • Even resting on my leg I can observe the problem.
  • It isn't 100% - on my wooden desktop it might work for a while before it acts up.
  • When it is acting up, the tablet is almost useless with a pen
  • Touch, under all circumstances, works as I would expect.

Any further ideas? 🙂

HP Recommended

@GordonWestCoast,

I read this quick reply. As @Jeet_singh is out for the day, I am responding on his behalf. You've done great and your time and patience are definitely appreciated.

For further assistance in this regard, a one to one interaction with phone support in real time will help as they may have multiple options here.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

• Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.
  • Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.
  • Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.
  • Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks - I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully I can do this next week.

HP Recommended

@GordonWestCoast,

It is a pleasure to hear from you again. You've displayed great technical credentials, immaculate attitude coupled with a never say die spirit to try and resolve the issue. Kudos to you for a job well done. 🙂

Please contact HP phone support and let me know how things pan out. I hope the product works great and stays healthy for a long time.

Now you are a valued HP customer and it has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you and a genuine pleasure to work with you.

if this helps, then to simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed year ahead. Stay healthy and smile big 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.