Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pro Tablet 408
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A school site I service has a cart with 32 new Pro Tablet 408s. I own one personally and I think they're great tablets, but of course in the use of students they aren't exactly taken care of as best as they could be.

Frequently, students let the battery run down to 0 or won't plug it in on the cart. This causes massive issues using the tablets as they appear to go into a "deep sleep" where normal power cycling techniques don't work...

The only way I've been able to make these functional again is to pull the back off, unseat the battery, reseat the battery and turn the tablet on again (after a charge cycle). I'll be greeted with a POST screen talking about the battery not being charged, but when I boot into Windows it reports a fully-charged battery.

Is there any way to power-cycle these tablets without disconnecting the battery? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello ramp4ge

I dont have a 408 G1 but usually with HP tablets, you can hold the power button down for 15 to 30 seconds to clear the memory (AC adapter not plugged in). 

If that doesnt work, try the Power and both Volume up and down buttons at the same time.

If that dosent work, Im afraid you are stuck with pulling the battery each time.

HP Recommended

Yeah I tried all combinations that I could think of as far as waking the units up.

Unplugging the battery seems like a fairly extreme measure, though. I'm worried about warranty voiding, here, since the battery isn't exactly easily accessible and according to the service manual it is not a user-replaceable part..

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I seriously can't believe these things essentially brick themselves if the batteries die and you have to perform surgery on them to 'wake them up'...

HP Recommended

The warranty will be void if you unsolder anything from the board.

If you first replaced the battery yourself, then tried to get warranty service, that would void the warranty.

But where you are simply disconnecting/reconnecting the battery wire connector only, it wont affect warranty.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.