Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Spectre 360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I bought a Spectre 360 on Black Friday and am just now getting it up and running. For the last 3 days (since I opened it and started to transfer my flies, etc.), I have been getting the "phantom/ghost square cursor that flickers from a small circle to a square and makes my mouse unsuable. I have read that many other people are having the problem as well and there does not seem to be any universal fix. 

It is particularlly frustrating to have this happen as soon as I started using my computer and my only way to address this problem is to turn the computer off and then restart it. 

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated....

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Dr_Miller

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Spectre x360 laptop with Win10 and a phantom/ghost square cursor that flickers from a small circle to a square and makes the mouse unusable. 

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• The exact product model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l
  • Are you using an external mouse or the touchpad of the laptop?
  • Does this happen only once or intermittently throughout the time you use the laptop?
  • Have you tried using an external mouse?

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Let us run the hardware test on the touchpad.
  • Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select Component test.

List of the Component tests

• Run Mouse/Touchpad test - There are 2 mouse tests to determine if the mouse is functioning correctly - the Pointer Test and the Drag and Drop Test. Click Mouse/Touchpad, then select the test you want to run and follow the instructions. NOTE: Bluetooth devices are not currently supported.

If the hardware test passes then yo may perform a Windows refresh (repair). This will not delete any data. NOTE: Though the link provides steps for Win8, the steps are good for Win10 also.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Keep me posted. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

HP support (i am under warranty) has tried many fixes for this issue on my HP Envy All in One. Failure. Although I pay to have them help me, the technicians refuse to start where the last one left off, thus they are a waste of time now.

After failing the mouse/keyboard test using this fix, HP sent me a new set. It did not solve the problem.

After reloading graphics and mouse drivers repeatedly, the techs are always shocked that by pressing 'refresh' it wasn't fixed.

The ONLY fix is is something you run yourself and you will do it often.

Turn off the machine.

During restart, hold down F10.

Select 'Apply defaults and Exit".

Follow the instructions, your machine will restart and the cursor will be normal.

I am not hopeful the HP can fix this. I am pursing my doctorate right now and cannot send my computer back to HP for 10 days. Yep, that was the last technicians option. I pay for inhome support but he said that the tech will tell me the same thing.

So, send my machine back for them to reinstall the BIOS. 

My theory - touch screen error. I can't prove it. Turning the option off hasn't improved the problem because the code is resident. 

If you walk by your computer and the screen saver did not load, this problem is only a day away....

COL Bunny

HP Recommended

I forgot to mention, after you restart the machine using F10, you will have to manually diable the touchscreen.

HP Recommended

@COLBunny

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand there's an issue with the HP Spectre x360 phantom cursor/mouse,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

And This may be a little too basic, but I'll have to ask for clarity on this issue:

Did you check with an alternate monitor, if not the BIOS?

Does this Phantom Cursor appear on BIOS? if it does not, update the BIOS, Chipset & Video card drivers: Click here to find it.

If it does, you don't have to look any further as it would confirm a hardware malfunction,

HP Doesn't recommend you replace the parts on your own is why we recommend you send the PC over to HP, but if it helps you need a replacement display assembly and the digitizer to resolve this issue.

I recommend you Contact HP and let them know about this crucial step so that they can send over that INhome tech (if covered by your warranty) and get this sorted for you:

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I have accumulated enough case numbers over the last two months and do not need anymore.

I owned the machine for 10 months before the problem started on my HP Envy All in One, not the machine you cited.

I do not believe that HP believes me that it is the touch screen causing the problem.

What I would like to know is if this type of problem is a fatal one or just an annoying one.

I finish school in 39 months.

Is there an expert who can communicate with me?

Thanks, COL Bunny

HP Recommended

@COLBunny

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

The title of your post contains these words: "HP Spectre 360 phantom cursor and mouse problem", that is where I got the information about the product I cited if this is not your product, please provide the product or model number to avoid confusion going forward.

That said, as I mentioned before, regardless of which model it is, if the issue persists under the BIOS screen as well, it's confirmed to be a hardware malfunction and to make it apparent - "YOU ARE RIGHT, ITS THE TOUCHSCREEN AND I BELIEVE YOU".

If you don't wish to replace the parts via the HP Warranty, you can replace it locally, although it goes without saying that it would be a charge if done locally, so it's really your call and I understand it's frustrating at times but please remember that we are only here to help you out and I request you to Contact HP, give it another chance and let me know if you have any issues, so that I may help you with that as well.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Just to update this thread, I have an HP Spectre 360 laptop that has been doing the exact same thing. You totally lose mouse control and have to power off. This can happen after 5 minutes or up to 20 minutes I have found. Very frustrating indeed. I have updated everything from the BIOS to the touchpad drivers, to the touchscreen drivers and no luck. This happens whether I have a mouse attached or not. I disabled my HP Touchscreen in the device manager and this fixed it. But I can't use this as a tablet at all. It seems to be a hardware defect, and I am exploring a class action suit against HP because there is no fix, and we paid for touchscreen ability.  All diags come back good, it passes every test. Unless HP releases a fix, which I have done everything including reseting Windows, and all my OS is up to date BTW, I don't see why not to pursue a class action suit as from what I can tell this is a problem effecting a large amount of HP Laptop owners besides the HP Spectre 360. 

HP Recommended

After contacting HP Support, updating drivers, doing a factory reset I eventually updated the firmware for the touchscreen controller. Access this for your particular model by:

(a) use link https://support.hp.com/us-en/products to select your product (I used serial number to select my laptop)

(b) on the resultant page select software and drivers and click to view all drivers

(c) scroll down to Firmware and open

(d) select the most recent firmware for your particular hardware (my one was HP F-HD Touchscreen Controller Firmware Update March 17 2017) ****read the associated release notes as there are reports of people using the wrong firmware and disabling their touchscreen so proceed at your own risk here!!!!! It worked for me ****

(e) follow the instructions for installing

I did this a couple of days ago and no ghost cursors since then.....fingers crossed and hope it works for you if you decide to try it.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.